DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D any good ?

Associate
Hi, I am currently choosing components for a new system build and I was looking at the DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D.
Can anyone give me any info or advice on this board ? I haven't built a system for quite a while and am not up to speed on new technology especially regarding SATA and memory.
The system will be mainly used for a gaming, internet and a bit of photoshop and ideally I would like a system that gets good "bang for bucks".
I was thinking of maybe using this bhoard, after browsing the rest of these forums, in tandem with an AMD 3800X2 and clocking it to 4200 levels is this possible ?
Also what sort of futureproofing would a system built on this board have as I am a tight sod and don't like upgrading that often :D
Thanks.

Don
Great board for overclocking, but as regards for future proofing it probably isn't a great choice as S939 is approaching the end of the road so don't expect much (if any) additional CPUs coming out for it in the coming years. The replacement socket AM2 is just round the corner and by all accounts will be the death knell for S939 (even S754 will outlive it!).

That applies to all S939 boards though.

Jokester

Associate
OP
Jokester said:
Great board for overclocking, but as regards for future proofing it probably isn't a great choice as S939 is approaching the end of the road so don't expect much (if any) additional CPUs coming out for it in the coming years. The replacement socket AM2 is just round the corner and by all accounts will be the death knell for S939 (even S754 will outlive it!).

Jokester

Christ, and I thought my socket A had only just faded out :eek:

N3M

N3M

Associate
Overclockers love this board. Tbh, You'd be better off with the Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-111-AS) as sold by ocuk or the deluxe...

Fast, Stable, Good Overclocker!

Also looks awesome imo...

BTW. Im biased as i got the Premium :p

Don
Yep, seem to recall reading somewhere that AMD will stop taking orders for S939 orders end within a year I think it was. Essentially means what you see now is basically your only upgrade path as regards CPU.

Jokester

Soldato
if you still want to go the S939 way i can heartily reccomend the DFI Ultra D.

superb board and very stable. had mine nearly 18months now and no problems at all... taken everything i can chuck at it and it runs at over 300FSB.

Soldato
Jokester said:

Jokester

just out of interest but for someone looking to buy now, what else is there? new intels out soon and new AMDs out so not a lot of choice unless you stick with 939?

Don
helpimcrap said:
just out of interest but for someone looking to buy now, what else is there? new intels out soon and new AMDs out so not a lot of choice unless you stick with 939?

If you're looking to future proof (if it was ever really possible) now is definitely not a good time. S939 is going nowhere, intel may be a better choice but supposedly the vast majority of current motherboards won't support the new CPUs when they come.

Personally if I had the luxury of being able to wait a bit I would hold fire for 6 months.

Jokester

Associate
OP
Lol, I this is why I don't upgrade that often too many headaches. I've been putting off doing it for ages as I can never make my mind up as there is always something new around the corner.

Associate
OP
I guess if a reasonably priced 939 system would do me for 18 months or so before I have to upgrade again I would be happy.
I've never been one for keeping up with high end systems ,as you may have guessed, and this is one of the reasons this board came to mind knowing I can get probably an X2 3800 and overclock it.

Soldato
I've recently changed over to the Ultra-D from an Epox NF3 board and I'm well impressed with it,I've furthered my 3700+ overclock by 100mhz(2.9 now),no cold boot issues which always seemed to plague my NF3 boards. My 2gig Ballistix kit is now running at 264mhz at 1T,previously it would only run this speed at 2T.

Don't believe the Bull about the DFI's being difficult to setup either,I've never experienced such a smooth install,put it all together with my WC kit and before long I was playing Call Of Duty 2 at 1920x1200 with full detail,AA and all the other malarky.

Also all sata ports appear to be locked,so you're not restricted to any particular one when overclocking,this is something that really bugged me with my previous NF3 boards,usually only 1 or 2 sata ports would be locked so a nice bid raid setup was out of the question.

Associate
Great board.

Some people may think it hard to setup just by the plentiful supply of options but there is plenty of support out there and if your an overclocker then you want plenty of options.

Soldato
do what i did, opteron 146 and asrock board for £170 delivered inc vat.
check my sig out for specs.
i will be sticking to this system for a while, also asrock has a AM2 daughter board add in now.

Associate
I love my dfi ultra-d, it's a real overclockers board and just has that love pouring out of every capacitor.

Best of all the DFI support forum is excellent with lots of helpful people, staff and plenty of stickied FAQs - sort of like here :p

Highly recommended. :)

Permabanned
I don't consider it a bad thing that 939 is reaching the end of its life, The Asus and DFIs are very very stable boards, When I bought my Socket A I got it when they first came out. I will wait till the bugs in AM2 are ironed out and DDR2 is a little better.

He can always get an FX60 in the future.

Back
Top Bottom