Wireless access points. + PCMCIA cards

Associate
hey ppl.

im after a bit of advice on wireless access points.

iv just bought a laptop tht i would like to connect to my network via a wireless network.

my plan is to connect the access point to my Linksys AG21 router.

Q1. should i just get an AP or should i get a wireless router?

Q2. what PCMCIA card should i get for my laptop as it does not have wireless capability.

i would like to have a secure network so im after a fairly new AP or router.

i have heard of these 1 touch security tools that set up the security quicky and easily are they any good or would it be better to do it my self.

Q3. would it be posable or worth setting up a firewall in between my AP and wire router?

thats all for now :)

thanx Steve

Associate
Just for web browsing etc i'd go for an access point thought personally i use a router.

I have speedtouch510 on the ADSL and that's connected to a WRT54GS. That then deals with wireless and prevents access to the wired network when my brother has mates round so they can't steal all my music etc.

I Used to run WPA2 as both router and adapter were linksys GS series. However my mum went and bought a netgear 111v2 USB thing which means i can only use WPA now for comptability reasons.

Associate
OP
from what i can see the linksys WRT54GS is a router

what would the advantages be of using a router instaid of an access point?

i already have a router so wouldnt another router make things more complicated?

http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/S...940853&pagename=Linksys/Common/VisitorWrapper

thats is the access point i have been looking at. is that good enough or can i get better/faster access points.

i have about £100 to get a AP and a laptop card.

would a PCMCIA card be better then a usb type adapter?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom