Good DivX Xvid DVD player

Soldato
have a toshiba sd3500 here that does divx, xvid, mp3 etc without drama and upsclaes and does progressive scan with optical out, hdmi, and component. Not too bad for £60 online as a stopgap until HD-DVD gets here.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
dmpoole said:
Its absolutely superb especially with Slayers Evox.
What noise?
DIVX playback and you're talking about picture quality.

What do you mean, what noise? The Xbox is very, very far from silent - you notice the fan noise instantly - its hard to miss!

OK he wants to play back DivX but no doubt he will want to play DVDs too.

Most proper, decent DVD players allow you to totally turn off the lights on the front from the (supplied) remote control.

Soldato
DRZ said:
What do you mean, what noise? The Xbox is very, very far from silent - you notice the fan noise instantly - its hard to miss!

OK he wants to play back DivX but no doubt he will want to play DVDs too.

Most proper, decent DVD players allow you to totally turn off the lights on the front from the (supplied) remote control.

you can turn all lights off on the xbox as well. I used to do that with my xbox when watching films:) in normal operation it was orange, when i started a film (dvd, divX or anything like that) it automatically switched off:)

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
james.miller said:
you can turn all lights off on the xbox as well. I used to do that with my xbox when watching films:)

Is that with a mod, or what? I wasnt able to turn them off on mine (maybe I didnt look hard enough for the button!)

Either way, its only a minor gripe compared to the noise the damn thing makes!

Man of Honour
The kids are watching Southpark and you can't hear the XBOX.
Oh you mean when you turn the sound off the TV?
(Comes back after annoying the kids)

No, still can't hear it.
I suggest you have your XBOX checked.

And just in case you didn't believe me :

http://www.disturbinthepeace.co.uk/pics3/xbox.jpg

And look at that XBOX, its lit up like a christmas tree.
(The XBOX is the one immediately under the TV - phone pic).

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
dmpoole said:
The kids are watching Southpark and you can't hear the XBOX.
Oh you mean when you turn the sound off the TV?
(Comes back after annoying the kids)

No, still can't hear it.
I suggest you have your XBOX checked.

Obviously years of abuse have meant you cant hear the xbox any more ;) :p. I assure you that I have used several xboxes and find the noise from the fan and hard drive intrusive - I can sleep with my PC on but I could not sleep with an xbox on. It is common knowledge that they are the loudest games console, certainly of that generation and compared to a DVD player costing the same money, you may as well park a 747 in your living room.

As we cleared up earlier, you can turn the lights off with a mod - I have never modded my xbox (which has long been stolen) so I wasnt aware there were mods to do that ;)

Soldato
some boxes were louder than others, depends on the fans they used. i forget one it was quite a while agao, but i believe the original boxes with a fan on the gpu aswell were the loudest. Later designs didngt have a gpu fan:)

DRZ said:
It is common knowledge that they are the loudest games console, certainly of that generation and compared to a DVD player costing the same money, you may as well park a 747 in your living room.

They werent all bad. certainly i choose the xbox over my toshiba sd210e, which was bloody identical in picture quality as far as i could tell testing them side by side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom