Shall i buy this car?

Associate
OP
Kappa said:
they're very nice, be weary though, you sure if you buy it brand new you're not gonna get the facelift one? I prefer the looks of the older one, but the new one is growing on me.

Yes ive seen a few of the facelift ones, but i like them aswell but there doesnt seem to be many photos of them on the net. Any ideas where i can get some new ones from?

Soldato
dean_ham said:
Whatever tickles your fancie, a hairdressers mx5 has never entered my skull aswell.

Personally id prefer to buy newer and more refined rather than spend all my free time under the bonnet of an old car.

Fiesta? Refined? okay.... And the corsa - don't get me started. The MX-5 was my girlfriends car but having just been diagnosed epileptic, she's lost her licence so I sold my 2.2VETC Accord whilst the rain was still coming down so I can get more for the '5 in the summer months. Not that it's just about the best handling motor you can buy (certainly for the money) but there are loads of 'hairdressers' on the forum it would seem.

What's this obsession the 'OMGZ - OLD CAR SO IT BRAKES DOWN LOADS!!!!!1111one' ??? The MX-5 is a 1998 and has just been tested and what did it need? Oh, the handbrake tightening. In 3 years time, the fiesta will share a similar residual value to the Mazda, even though there is an eigth year difference between. It was just advice and correcting you that not all 17-24 year-olds would want something that is more suited to the supermarket run thn enjoying your youth.

Associate
OP
Kitchster_uk said:
Fiesta? Refined? okay.... And the corsa - don't get me started. The MX-5 was my girlfriends car but having just been diagnosed epileptic, she's lost her licence so I sold my 2.2VETC Accord whilst the rain was still coming down so I can get more for the '5 in the summer months. Not that it's just about the best handling motor you can buy (certainly for the money) but there are loads of 'hairdressers' on the forum it would seem.

What's this obsession the 'OMGZ - OLD CAR SO IT BRAKES DOWN LOADS!!!!!1111one' ??? The MX-5 is a 1998 and has just been tested and what did it need? Oh, the handbrake tightening. In 3 years time, the fiesta will share a similar residual value to the Mazda, even though there is an eigth year difference between. It was just advice and correcting you that not all 17-24 year-olds would want something that is more suited to the supermarket run thn enjoying your youth.

The corsa has been a good car for me, excellent first car. But ive out grown it now.

Im not saying the mx5 isnt a good car, its one of the best cars thats come from the east.

I didnt say ALL 17-24 year olds want a zetec s. All im saying is this car is aimed for the younger generation. How many 30+ year old people do you see in mk5 zetec s's.

Yes in 3 years time will be worth the same as a fiesta. But the mx5 has taken its biggest drop in depreciation a few years ago.

You tell me then what car i can get with the following points

- fun to drive
- must be 35+ mpg
- good quality refined
- insurance group no more than 10
- cheap to run
- looks good

etc etc

Soldato
dean_ham said:
You tell me then what car i can get with the following points

- fun to drive
- must be 35+ mpg
- good quality refined
- insurance group no more than 10
- cheap to run
- looks good

etc etc

Xsara VTR? Looks aren't to everyone's taste but it isn't a horrible minger. It's a 'sporty' little coupe, 3 door and should get decent economy. Gp8/9 I believe.

Ford Puma. Based on the Fiesta, looks better, handles better, better residuals. Not sure about the grouping but the 1.4 can't be too bad and there are a few around the forums.

Ford Focus. 1.8 is IG 9/10 i believe and will return excellent MPG, again, great handling, great looks, decent space - even in the 3-door. In a decent spec it will be a considerably nicer place to be than the fiesta.

That's just three without looking anything up. Oh, MPG is directly proportional to weigt of right foot. Mine is cast out of pure bronze and thus is planted to the floor a lot. Rather than say IG10 or less, look at specific cars and try insuring them IG11 or 12 should hardly break the bank at 20, nearly 21, especially if you have a years NCB.

Associate
OP
Matt said:
Why are you worrying so much about an extra few hundred £ in insurance when you're spending £10k on a car?

Out of choice i would prefer to spend £750 on insurance with a car IG 6-8 rather than £2000 on a car IG13-15

Man of Honour
dean_ham said:
and in my opinion i could sell it in 4 years time for £5000 easily.?

Your opinion is sadly far and away from the reality.

There is no way you'll be selling a 4 year old Fiesta for £5000.

You seem concerned about running costs and insurance, yet not about the biggest thing - depreciation. You'll lose thousands simply by turning the key and driving away yet this doesn't bother you at all, you seem more fussed about whether you can save a tenner a week in fuel.

I'd be far more tempted to spend £6-8k on a really nice Focus and use the considerable saving to spend on the marginal extra fuel costs, beer, modifications, stuff for your PC, whatever else you spend cash on.

Caporegime
Kitchster_uk said:
35 mpg? Bad? I managed 26 to the gallon this month in the MX-5 - a massive increase from the average of 21 I get!!!

You really need to get your 5 looked at, something is not right, its burning far too much fuel!

On topic : As others have said changing to a new car just cause you want to save some petrol money is a silly idea, but if you want to change the car anyways then fair enough.

Fiesta is a good car, buy one thats 1 years old and has been driven buy a woman!

Associate
i was looking @ a swift 1.5 vvti glx 3dr it was a very nice car well equiped for the price and felt solid and 8999 new cheap insurance looks cool and its jap. i currently have a 1.25 zetec fiesta and was thinking the same about gettin a 1.6tdci zs

Soldato
30k miles in 3 years? that's 10k miles a year

diesel zetec S cost £1k more than petrol zetec S ?

it'll take 3 or 4 years before u will actually start saving money in fuel

by the time in 3 or 4 years, you'll want different car so its pointless.

Caporegime
a colleague of mine has a new zetec s and he loves it he paid 12k and personally i think its not worth 12k, don't get me wrong nice car inside etc.

but:

1. its a ford

2. for a similar price you could get a new seat leon.

Both 2 major points i wouldn't go for it.

/awaits Fox's fiery reply post of doom :p

EDIT: also my colleagues one has been recalled twice due to an error in the design of the oil filter.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Phate said:
1. its a ford

And you spend a 5 figure sum on an Astra, your point? I would have thought some like yourself who has absolutely no reason to be a badge snob would be above utterly unhelpful comments like 'Its a Ford'.

As for not worth £12k, you are right. It's not. But then neither is a Vauxhall Astra ;)

2. for a similar price you could get a new seat leon.

a) No you can't
b) The Leon thats so good you chose an Astra over it

/awaits Fox's fiery reply post of doom :p

There we go :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Your opinion is sadly far and away from the reality.

There is no way you'll be selling a 4 year old Fiesta for £5000.

Autotrader full of bog standard '01 and '02 fiestas selling (yes, actually selling) for around the 4.5 - 5k mark easily...

well they are down here anyway... cornwalls stupid car prices :p

Soldato
I've noticed the price of 02-03 fiestas jump up only because they are mk6, i expect 3 years down the line the price to be a lot less.

Soldato
btw... wheres this ford OMGAZ ITZ @ F0RDZ!!! MUTZ B3 RUBBISH come from...

i mean i can understand the rover comments :p ;) (ooo i may have hit some buttons there) but FORD!! i mean come on, three of the most popular selling models in the uk alone, the fiesta, focus and mondeo... all great cars... not much bad to be said about em in general (apart from those awful four spoke wheels some mondeos come with :D )

I know people that have stuck with fords all their life just because of the reliablity, value-for-money, handling etc etc...

It gets to me that these badge snobs just look at ford as a manufacturer at the 'lower' end of the motoring industry... when they are clearly not!

Associate
WHY do we get these threads every day? I have 10 grand to spend on a car but it can't be above insurance group 10 because it would cost 200 quid more to insure. Bloody hell, man.

There are so many cars out there for under 10 grand that would be absolutely ideal for you if you'd open your eyes and go above group 10. You don't have to spend all of your money on metal. Spend 2/3rds on something a bit older, a bit more different, a bit sportier, a bit more fun and get a whole lot more for your money. Keep the rest of the money for insurance and anything that might go wrong.

Soldato
jonarob said:
WHY do we get these threads every day? I have 10 grand to spend on a car but it can't be above insurance group 10 because it would cost 200 quid more to insure. Bloody hell, man.

There are so many cars out there for under 10 grand that would be absolutely ideal for you if you'd open your eyes and go above group 10. You don't have to spend all of your money on metal. Spend 2/3rds on something a bit older, a bit more different, a bit sportier, a bit more fun and get a whole lot more for your money. Keep the rest of the money for insurance and anything that might go wrong.

he got a point... if i had 10k spare to spend on a car today... i certainly wouldnt spend it all on a newer car... so many older better bargains to be had which in many circumstances would be some what better than some of these 'newer' cars...

Back
Top Bottom