Oh my god what am I doing - is this right?!

Soldato
My old manager had one and he pretty much mirrored Scuzi's comments. It was pretty quick and comfortable but something would go wrong every other week. They also don't like corners one bit!

It also sounds a bit expensive. My bosses sold for £800 about a year ago. I really wouldn't pay any more than this as you need to save as much cash as possible to fix the thing!

Andy

Man of Honour
Don't these have all the disadvantages of the Honda Legend (no handling, soft mushy feel) without the advantages (reliability)?

Get the 220 Turbo.

Not a penny over £500 for an 800.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Don't these have all the disadvantages of the Honda Legend (no handling, soft mushy feel) without the advantages (reliability)?

Get the 220 Turbo.

Fair enough.

I therefore propose a challenge to all OcUK - nay, the entire Internet itself.

If one individual can propose to me a Rover 220 Coupe Turbo for sale I that I do not know about, that I eventually buy, I will reward them with the sum of one hundred pounds sterling, and a pair of BHS tartan effect slippers in a size of their choice!

Let the games begin!

Soldato
Get the Honda Legend then, with over 100k miles they go for similar money as this and they'll keep on going.

Apart from Rovertech, I dont really know of any 220's for sale.

See here also
http://cars.uk.freeads.net/search.p...OVER&model=220&ad_orderby=&ad_orderdirection=

Theres a Legend on there with 92k miles for 2.4k, sounds good to me :)

Legend Power to weight: 118.84 bhp/ton

827 Vitesse Power to weight: 124.04 bhp/ton

820T Power to weight: 127.84 bhp/ton

220T Power to weight: 168.78 bhp/ton

75 V8 Power to weight: 152.38 bhp/ton

216 gti Power to weight: 111.93 bhp/ton

my moms micra 1.4 Power to weight: 102.11 bhp/ton

http://www.globalcar.com/datasheet/Nissan/2002NissanMarch14e.htm

Last edited:
Associate
Theres a black 220 turbo coupe for sale round the corner from me, don't know the price (isn't on sign) but could get the phone number for you if you want. Looks pretty much standard to me but I wouldn't really know tbh.

Associate
[TW]Fox said:

Get the 220 Turbo.

The V6 is the same as in the honda, so are most of the suspension components.

Here's a little review between a standard 800 and the later vitesse coupe.

http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/index.htm?sd1drivef.htm

Associate
I like the old 800. It was the first 'big' car I ever drove on a regular basis back in the early ninties.

What age is the coupe? And how low are the miles? Really low millages can be as bad as high millages.

M0T

M0T

Soldato
PMKeates said:
Fair enough.

I therefore propose a challenge to all OcUK - nay, the entire Internet itself.

If one individual can propose to me a Rover 220 Coupe Turbo for sale I that I do not know about, that I eventually buy, I will reward them with the sum of one hundred pounds sterling, and a pair of BHS tartan effect slippers in a size of their choice!

Let the games begin!

Thats the problem I have.

I have been looking for a decent turbo for a few months, but the problem is they all seem to come up as pretty high mileage or have been thrashed.

My cousin managed to pick up a completely immaculate 1.6 coupe that had done about 30k. But I suppose the sort of people that buy the turbos and the 1.6s are different.

I know I have the VVC and it should be plenty fast enough for someone my age, but I get a funny feeling in my groin everytime the bloke round the corner goes hooning about in his and you hear the dump valve go :(

Soldato
OP
I considered the VVC for a long time, but decided against it as the Turbo worked out virtually no different in cost with the added benefits of another 55HP, a TorSen diff, and my preference of the Mk.2 dash.

If you find yourself not enchanted by the VVC's performance (The lovely 7200rpm redline mainly), then I'd say go for a Turbo. Heck, I'm 10 days younger than you and am going for one, so you should definitely be okay with it :p

M0T

M0T

Soldato
Oh no the VVC's performance is awesome.

I think if I had an f40 I'd want to go faster.

I was hurtling down mountains on skis at dangerous speeds and I still wanted to go faster.

I am a speed freak. :)

Associate
agw_01 said:
What do you mean Jonny?

I was just saying that I wouldn't expect the PG1 in an 800 would have any form of LSD being a 'rep mobile' and not a performance car.

All vitesse sports and 96 on vitesse's had the Torsen diff, mine has it and it's a 96 on vitesse :D

The Honda V6 is a cracking engine when paired with a manual box ;)
Makes a nice noise too.

Back
Top Bottom