Buying at auction

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
This is my personal opinion, but...

Do not bid on:

a) Private entries. Other than the very rare case where a private seller needs cash fast, selling at auction is a very bad idea for private sellers. So why do they do it? Well, they can't sell it any other way. I wonder why...

b) Nice, tidy looking low mileage part exchanges from general used car dealers. Erm, whats going on here? If this car was as lovely as it looks why is he banging it through auction at trade price and not selling it on his pitch?

c) Nice, tidy looking low mileage part exchanges from franchised dealers with approved used car schemes that are the same make. So..... nice little part ex BMW 318 here with 30k miles, 3 years old, direct from the main BMW dealer? What, so nice that he's not selling it via the approved used scheme? Whats wrong with it then?

Consider bidding on:

a) Finance company reposessions. Normally reasonably straight cars - but be careful, ****** who cannot pay their car finance don't normally look after cars either.

Great things to bid on:

a) Lease company de-fleets. You know the sort - ex company cars. 3 years old, near 6 figure mileage, all with full service history. Well looked after, properly serviced, going through auction becuase big leasing companies don't want to faff around selling them any other way. Great buys.

b) Main dealer part exchanges. Only when its stuff you can see why they are not selling themselves. So that means a lovely Ford Mondeo from the BMW main dealer. Of course it's not going on their forecourt, it's a Mondeo, they sell nice BMW's. Probably a nice car. Also higher mileage or older stuff - nice tidy Audi A4, but it's on a T plate and it's done 120k. It's not going to be sold by the main dealer, it's going to auction.

c) ex-motability. Tend to only be at big car auctions and probably out of your budget but if you just want a bog standard boring runabout thats nearly new, its hard to do any better. Under 3 years old, usually very low milage, full service history and still under warranty. Tops.

How can you tell where the cars are from?
Do they say, "Here's a Ford Mondeo from the BMW dealer down the road..."

Man of Honour
s0ck said:
How can you tell where the cars are from?
Do they say, "Here's a Ford Mondeo from the BMW dealer down the road..."

Yes, usually. Often it'll be on the form stuck to the car, or at the big auctions there will be an entire auction just of, say, Lex Leasing de-fleets.

Soldato
Wow a 1981 Porsche 924 in there I see. You can sometimes swap parts from the 944 over to those.

How about this one.

98 SAAB 9-3 2.0 S 3 Doors, RED, 110164 Miles (Warranted)
Saab 9-3 Coupé
2.0T S (185bhp) 3d 1998/R
Insurance Group 14 (get a quote)
Average mileage: 70,000 miles
Cost New ('98) £ 22825
Franchised Dealer £ 2970
Independent Dealer £ 2745
Private Good £ 2495
Private Poor £ 1820
Part Exchange £ 2160

So with the higher mileage, 2k ?

Ive brought from auction before now and it was about the best deal Ive made out of the 5 cars Ive owned.

In Fox's run down it fitted this description
b) Main dealer part exchanges. Only when its stuff you can see why they are not selling themselves. So that means a lovely Ford Mondeo from the BMW main dealer. Of course it's not going on their forecourt, it's a Mondeo, they sell nice BMW's. Probably a nice car. Also higher mileage or older stuff - nice tidy Audi A4, but it's on a T plate and it's done 120k. It's not going to be sold by the main dealer, it's going to auction.

It was a Honda from a Honda dealership, however it was a discontinued model and not very popular which made it a bargain.

In fact it was a better deal then I realised at the time, the auction staff handling the cars were corrupt and made out the car was breaking down.

They stalled it continually and made out the bonnet wouldnt close due to crash damage, in fact the guy driving was holding onto the bonnet release handle I believe though I didnt spot it at the time.

I bid anyway and it turned out to have a full pristine service history, it had only just come off extended warranty a week before. The previous owner was registered disabled which I presume meant he had not used much of the 7k revs that often. I bid against some traders and they gave way a bit above the parkers book price.

Fees came to an extra 100 on top. You confirm the bid at the stand just after and you can pay cash or switch without a fee, your bank may want to speak to you first though.

Dont buy on your first trip, try not to go for popular types of cars like convertibles especially at this time of year.

Try to have a shortlist of cars you want before you go, you chose the car not the other way round or your likely to find out later why it was cheaper

Man of Honour
Rule 1: Don't walk around with a copy of Parkers. You'll look like a plank and everyone will know you are a private punter.

Rule 2: Decide the MAX you want to pay for the car BEFORE it goes in. STOP the instant it gets there. No 'If only I went a bit higher'. Thats when you start paying stupid money for an old nail. It only takes two private muppets, parkers in hand, to pay way over book for a car at auction.

Once a car approaches private sale price there is NO POINT buying it at auction.

Associate
I was just about to post this
Rule 2: Decide the MAX you want to pay for the car BEFORE it goes in. STOP the instant it gets there. No 'If only I went a bit higher'. Thats when you start paying stupid money for an old nail. It only takes two private muppets, parkers in hand, to pay way over book for a car at auction.
GOLDEN RULE !!!!!! It is very easy to get carried away, There is always another day.

Kieran

Soldato
OP
We got there, had a good look around. The only cars of interest were an S2000 and a couple of Celicas. The Celicas were quite tatty and the S2000 had a damaged wing, no documents, no tax or mot. It looked like it was probably a repossession which means that if the owner couldn't keep up the payments then he probably couldn't afford to maintain it properly either.

It was fun really. I know a lot more about it now.

We went round a few garages afterwards and my mate is booked in for a test drive on an XK8 today.

After having been to the auctions and thinking about used cars so much, we certainly felt in a better position to talk down the price on the XK8.

Good experience all in all and I'd like to do it again.

Thanks again for all the help everyone :)

Soldato
This might have changed since it was a while ago But when my dad last bought a car at auction he found that the midweek sales were much better value then the sauturday sales. Infact he even noticed the odd car that had been sold on the Wednesday pop up again on Saturday at a different auction (usualy selling for more).

Soldato
Yes I was going to say the market will be different on a bank holiday friday. I brought during the week, lots of traders and just a few punters like myself as far as I could tell (thats a good thing). Working shifts has an advantage :)

I dont know about missing documents but a battered wing panel would be ideal in a way because it'll put a lot of people off the sale. Allowing the possibility of a decent price on a normally popular car. Hondas are quite bullet proof, might have been worth the risk :/

Our local auction barely gives any info on the car prior to sale, you cant do much apart from stick your head against the glass and try to see whats inside, they usually state MOT'd or not and the source of the sale.

Traders always have the advantage on you, they buy cars all day so one bad judgement is ok whereas you have no profit to write a loss against :/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom