Hot Hatches

Soldato
OP
Does it really matter what it is?! I'd call the 200sx a Coupe. The Fiat Coupe is (rather surprisingly) a coupe! Even if the Xsara becomes a coupe on a technicality, to my mind it's still a hot hatch. [edit] I was unsure of the boot opening on one, but thanks for proving the point fox! (Even if it had a coupe/saloon boot, it'd still be a hot hatch though!)

IMO

Back to the suggestions.... What do people think of the Peugeot 106 Rallye S2? I got my behind whupped by one the other week, which made me start to think of one!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't really care why it may or may not be called a Coupe, the fact is regardless of what it's called, it is also a hatchback. It has a hatchback. It is a 3 door. It is not a 2 door.

This is fact, not opinion :p

Soldato
timbob said:
Does it really matter what it is?! I'd call the 200sx a Coupe. The Fiat Coupe is (rather surprisingly) a coupe! Even if the Xsara becomes a coupe on a technicality, to my mind it's still a hot hatch. [edit] I was unsure of the boot opening on one, but thanks for proving the point fox! (Even if it had a coupe/saloon boot, it'd still be a hot hatch though!)

IMO

Back to the suggestions.... What do people think of the Peugeot 106 Rallye S2? I got my behind whupped by one the other week, which made me start to think of one!

If you're doing the miles I would think about an alternative to the 106 Rallye. I was not too impressed with the comfort factor, but it wasn't really designed with that in mind. Performance is great but you'll get baaaaaaaaaaad MPG driving it how it should be/wants to be driven. Driving it like grandma on a Sunday afternoon negates the point of getting it in the first place.he Williams will also be a feul whore for similar reasons so if that is your main concern, go DIEsel (sudders at the thought).

If you are going to buy performance, the 200SX isn't a bad option, especially if you're doing motorway miles as you'll be off-boost most of the time. My S13 could do 35mpg if I didn't lampoon it around (though I only normally averaged about 25 because of said lampooning).

So, if you want rapid and fun for 4k, bye bye Mr Fuel Economy and if you want Fuel Economy for 4k, bye bye mr Rapid and Fun

Associate
As much fun as my saxo VTS is i wouldnt recommend it unless you dont mind the plastic cheap looking dash with little rattles here and there, it doesnt bother me too much i just love it for its handling and turn of speed :D getting about 315 miles to a tank (£34-35) but that is giving it some welly, i dont use it much so i dont mind :) insurance is cheap for me (28) and my wife (23) with full no claims only £519 but can be harsh for younger people. Boot space is ok 2 suitcases would be ok, 3 and the 3rd would have to be very very small. This is my second saxo and reliability wise i cant fault either of the cars and the service i get from citroen is second to none customer service ive had is brilliant!.

Just my 2 pence worth you might find some useful info :)

Soldato
Err, 106 Rallye S2 will be somewhat spartan.

Quick cars, not sure on the reliability side of things (it is French :p), you could get a mint one for your budget quite easily.

Just some stats on the S2 for you:

rallyes28qh.png

Soldato
OP
Kitchster_uk said:
If you're doing the miles I would think about an alternative to the 106 Rallye. I was not too impressed with the comfort factor, but it wasn't really designed with that in mind. Performance is great but you'll get baaaaaaaaaaad MPG driving it how it should be/wants to be driven. Driving it like grandma on a Sunday afternoon negates the point of getting it in the first place.he Williams will also be a feul whore for similar reasons so if that is your main concern, go DIEsel (sudders at the thought).

If you are going to buy performance, the 200SX isn't a bad option, especially if you're doing motorway miles as you'll be off-boost most of the time. My S13 could do 35mpg if I didn't lampoon it around (though I only normally averaged about 25 because of said lampooning).

So, if you want rapid and fun for 4k, bye bye Mr Fuel Economy and if you want Fuel Economy for 4k, bye bye mr Rapid and Fun

I'm not too worried about the comfort factor to be honest. As long as a car isn't 100% stripped out to the metal inside, that's fine.

A good deal of the 400 miles I do per week is A/B roads. Perhaps only 30-40% is dual carriageway. I've done some reading on the SXOC forum, and I think fuel economy would be a killer given the way I drive.

I'm not overly bothered about a hugely rapid car, just one that isn't too bad on fuel, as well as fun to drive (this will be a weekend hoon car as well as a weekday workhorse). I'm not after 50mpg, but by the same token I couldn't cope with sub 25mpg. Something that's fast enough, while still returning 30mpg is fine by me - I'm fully aware that fun and frugal don't come in the same package. I'm also positive driving a 103bhp Pug 106 rallye hard isn't going to use anywhere near as much fuel as 200bhp worth of turbocharged 200sx - I do tend to drive any cars I drive quite hard.

Soldato
OP
Yes, but couldn't justify getting a Zetec S when I could buy a slightly older 1.7 Puma for the same money. And the problem with a Puma is my mum and a good friend have one already...

Can't be seen to be following the crowd can we?! :p

Associate
Not into fiat punto's by any chance :D My other halfs sporting is a lovely car to drive goes alright for a 1.3 but the hgt i bet that goes well with a 1.8 engine, i actualy like driving my wifes punto for comfort than i do the saxo vts :) just an idea :D

Soldato
OP
=GAMMO= said:
Not into fiat punto's by any chance :D My other halfs sporting is a lovely car to drive goes alright for a 1.3 but the hgt i bet that goes well with a 1.8 engine, i actualy like driving my wifes punto for comfort than i do the saxo vts :) just an idea :D

A Fiat.... I said it had to be reliable, remember! :p

On a more serious note, I'm not a fan of Puntos at the best of times, sorry!

Soldato
Could the sx not be economical off boost.
If you want you the best of both worlds then thats what dohc vtec was designed for, so a civic vti or something would do the job - Power to weight: 148.15 bhp/ton

Soldato
OP
I'm sure the 200sx would be fairly economical off boost... The question is whether I'd be able to restrain myself for the 3+ hours I spend in the car every day at work! The answer - probably not!

Been looking around a little more... What's the 106 GTi like compared to the S2 Rallye? My understanding is that it's a 1.6 16v (8v in the Rallye), with a bit more in the way of interior trim? As such, weighs a little more, but goes about the same?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom