Trouble on Motorway

Suspended
Well recently ive started to get really worried while being in a car when on the motorway ( passenger ) every time we break or the slightest bump in the road my heart just goes like where about to crash or something , also now i cant lean on the door rest as i always think the doors are just going to come swinging open :confused:

Im just wondering what could be causing me to become such a wierdo lol :p i was fine few months ago and since then nothing major has happend and the people i drive with always drive safe , yet i now bob my self ( not literally :eek: )

any of you have ought similar?

Associate
Sanzy said:
also now i cant lean on the door rest as i always think the doors are just going to come swinging open :confused:

Think of the amount of force that is applied against your hand when you put it out the window at motorway speeds, then multiply that by 50 for the size of the surface area of the door, and you should realise that even in the very unlikely event of the door latch opening, the door would never open (unless its a sliding door or suicide door, but i'm assuming its not).

Soldato
Motorways are the safest roads in the UK. Be scared at the next right turn at a T junction with an articulated truck heading for your door if your going to be scared at all then speed doesnt matter just his 10 ton momentum :D

If you have your seatbelt on, the door could open and you still couldnt get out, try it when its parked next time.

Soldato
I can be a nervous passenger. I always feel that whoever is driving isn't concentrating enough and whenever we're passing through a tight space I find myself breathing in to make sure we get through eventhough I know it won't make a difference lol :p. I also watch the road ahead as if I was driving myself. I know what you mean about the car door, I feel like that sometimes and if the dog is in the car or something heavy is in the boot I make sure the snibs are down to stop them opening. I'm also convinced the trailor is going to come off when it's on. Despite all this I love being a passenger in the car (can't drive myself).

I think i'm like that because recently i've noticed so many terrible drivers on the roads and seem to witness an accident or close accident everytime i'm out. I hate being anywhere near women drivers (no offence to any that can drive ok) but here in NI it's like most of them got their licences in makeup bags.

Soldato
Im definaly more contious of what the driver is doing now i can drive, only time i get nervious is when my mum hesitates, sometimes i just want to shout at her what to do.

It was a lot worse when my gran was driving tho :O.

Associate
Redrum said:
Think of the amount of force that is applied against your hand when you put it out the window at motorway speeds, then multiply that by 50 for the size of the surface area of the door, and you should realise that even in the very unlikely event of the door latch opening, the door would never open (unless its a sliding door or suicide door, but i'm assuming its not).

That's pretty good information, I get nervous about leaning on the door in our work van, though it is usually when going around roundabouts

Soldato
i am the worst passenger in all of history. i think i can be very critical of other people's driving, if they dont appear to know whats going on i start messing my pants lol

there are few drivers out there that ive felt safe with.

if you were not concerned about other people's driving then theres something wrong with you. "youd have to be mad not to be scared" its only natural etc.

Associate
-westy- said:
I'm a very nervous passenger - my girlfriend has quite an...agressive driving style, so i'm always panicking, thinking she's braking too late!

I'm sure I remember some people coming back after a drive with you at the RR meet, saying stuff exactly like that^ about you :p

Soldato
Never had a problem as a car passenger (I've been conditioned by numerous near death experiences as a passenger in my bros car :rolleyes: )

On the otherhand I'm a terrible pillion passenger on anybody elses bike, I'd prefer to walk.

Fog

Soldato
My aunt suffers from something similar to you, Sanzy. She used to fly down the motorway at 90mph in her 1.3 Fiesta without a worry in the world. Since she started suffering from arthritis, she has become 99.999% a passenger rather than a driver, and has become incredibly nervous. Any amount of acceleration has her holding the sides of the seat and pushing her feet in to the footwell, and driving at above 50mph is a no go anywhere.

She's thinking of trying some "alternative" treatment to overcome the fear. It wouldn't be so much of a worry if it wasn't getting progressively worse! The G forces of walking may be too much for her soon! :p

Myself, I've been trained in to being a pretty resilient passenger. Having a friend who drives a roadster fast, being a pretty quick driver myself, and being in 7 car accidents (One caused by travelling at 5 times the posted speed limit), there isn't a lot that phases me anymore :cool:

Deleted member 11679

D

Deleted member 11679

What your suffering is mild anxiety, irrational fears allowing you to 'catastrophise' a situation to much (basically allowing your irrational fears to overcome the rational ones.)

Things to make sure you do are to make sure you rest plenty, take time out to relax during day time hours if your a very busy person, and think each time you go into a car through rationally.

If the nerves and anxiousness don't stop just go and see your GP as they can always offer some really good advice for things if you are finding situations like this genuinely scary.

...Happens to a lot of people.

Soldato
The only person I trust to drive is my dad.

I'm not a good passenger with anyone else unless they have a similar driving style to me. All my mates brake quite late or what I consider to be late as I rather engine brake and use the brakes gradually rather than all or nothing.

You sound like you've been smoking to much of a certain substance lol, paranoid?

Gangster
Permabanned
Sanzy said:
Well recently ive started to get really worried while being in a car when on the motorway ( passenger ) every time we break or the slightest bump in the road my heart just goes like where about to crash or something , also now i cant lean on the door rest as i always think the doors are just going to come swinging open :confused:

Im just wondering what could be causing me to become such a wierdo lol :p i was fine few months ago and since then nothing major has happend and the people i drive with always drive safe , yet i now bob my self ( not literally :eek: )

any of you have ought similar?

lol

the doors dont swing open, i often find i didnt close mine and open and shut it while driving along, the faster u go the less the door wants to open ;)

Back
Top Bottom