P45

Permabanned
Just started a new job and my old employer won't issue me a P45, my new employer says I can't start without it, how can I get another copy? :)

Man of Honour
AFAIK your old employer can get into trouble for not returning your P45. Get on the phone to the people at the tax office and they will be able to sort you out :)

Soldato
just go into your old job and ask for the p45, if they say no, whip out a pre written letter addressed to the tax office asking them to sign it stating they are refusing the give it to you.

they get screwed over, job done

Associate
I did a job last year where I didn't give them a P45, so they applied to the tax office instead and got some other form that they needed, so it can be done. However, it took months and I was on emergency tax until then, although that got refunded when the form did come through.

Soldato
Redrum said:
I did a job last year where I didn't give them a P45, so they applied to the tax office instead and got some other form that they needed, so it can be done. However, it took months and I was on emergency tax until then, although that got refunded when the form did come through.

P46?

Soldato
You can apply for a replacement tax code however it will cause you strife which is probably why your old company is taking the pleasure.

I had a company do this even though I gave the right amount of notice and the next company to employ me paid my NI contributions to the wrong code for 9 months!

Soldato
Careful, you definitley need your P45 from your previous company, for your new companies records, if your new employer doesn't know your tax code you'll automatically get put onto emergency tax which is at lease 40% and you need to faff around to get it back. providing it was a proper job with payslips and BACS transfer you should definitley have a P45, it is mandatory.

Associate
-westy- said:

Not sure, I don't really know anything about tax. All I know is that I didn't give them a P45 or any other information about tax, so they charged me at 22% a week, minus my tax allowance for that week. Then when the form came through, they paid me back the tax I had been overcharged. And this was a large multinational company, so I doubt they did anything wrong.

Soldato
Just give your new employer a P46 inmstead and you should be issued a new tax code in no time.

If your employer happened to "lose" your P46 (say they "put it in the post"), then there's not much you can do, as I'm pretty sure they cannot issue a duplicate.

Soldato
V-Spec said:
Careful, you definitley need your P45 from your previous company, for your new companies records, if your new employer doesn't know your tax code you'll automatically get put onto emergency tax which is at lease 40% and you need to faff around to get it back. providing it was a proper job with payslips and BACS transfer you should definitley have a P45, it is mandatory.
Emergency tax is nowhere near 40%, it's about 22%

Back
Top Bottom