Which PCI-E 478 Mobo

Associate
i currently have an intel D865 GLC with a 478 socket 3Ghz P4, AGP Nvidia 6600 graphics card.

A friend of mine will sell me his PCI-E 6600GT very cheap so i would like upgrade my mobo to suit, also to alow some overclocking which i cant do on the intel board.

Can anyone suggest which mobo to get? idealy want one with 4 slots for RAM but not essensial

Associate
ecclesk said:
i currently have an intel D865 GLC with a 478 socket 3Ghz P4, AGP Nvidia 6600 graphics card.

A friend of mine will sell me his PCI-E 6600GT very cheap so i would like upgrade my mobo to suit, also to alow some overclocking which i cant do on the intel board.

Can anyone suggest which mobo to get? idealy want one with 4 slots for RAM but not essensial

Dont think there is such a board, PCI-E was being introduced when the Skt 775 was out iirc

EDIT:

Just had a look and found this!
Asus P4V800D-X SKT 478 PT880 Ultra ATX - Sound Lan USB 2.0 800MHz FSB SATA 133
It has AGP 8X and PCI-E

Last edited:
Associate
The only two boards I know of are -

Asus P4GD1 (Rarer than an honest politician)
Asus P4GPL-X (Rare but still available if you look around for about £50 - £60)

The P4GPL-X is a reasonable, if basic, mobo but only has two DIMM slots. This is going to be your best bet I think.

Cheers

JudgeC

Edit: Never heard of that board mentioned above, but may be worth checking out.

Last edited:
Associate
suggest get the asus p4v800d-x,pci-e & agp.have my 478 pin 3.4 northwood running @ 3.74 in one of these mobos,due to the overclock options in the bios,5,10,20,&30%,mine @ 10% with pc3500 ram,runs solid,for 34 quid am well pleased that my 478 pin is not redundant,as its pushing my new sapphire 1800xt 256mb along very well indeed

Associate
Like myself who has a S478, I must say that I dont think its worth getting a mobo with a PCI-e socket, as this socket version wont make best use of it as a newer mobo with a newer CPU could, that was made with PCI-e well in mind, rather than an after-thought

Soldato
I disagree.

PCIe has double the available bandwidth of AGP, plus all the more recent chipsets are cheaper on PCIe, plus you can upgrade the graphics card and keep it if you change the CPU and motherboard.

There is no downside to having a PCIe graphics card with a socket 478 processor. It's never going to be slower than an AGP card and it could be much faster.

Associate
WJA96 said:
I disagree.

PCIe has double the available bandwidth of AGP, plus all the more recent chipsets are cheaper on PCIe, plus you can upgrade the graphics card and keep it if you change the CPU and motherboard.

There is no downside to having a PCIe graphics card with a socket 478 processor. It's never going to be slower than an AGP card and it could be much faster.

Agreed. I have a more than capable system (Se Sig) running off what is a Socket 478 board with PCI-E.

Associate
That is true, but I would have thought if you have deep enough pockets for a decent, future proof PCI-e graphics card then you might as well go all the way and upgrade the CPU & mobo while you are at it, as it has been proven that one of the bottlenecks of graphics cards can be the CPU.

Associate
danceMB said:
That is true, but I would have thought if you have deep enough pockets for a decent, future proof PCI-e graphics card then you might as well go all the way and upgrade the CPU & mobo while you are at it, as it has been proven that one of the bottlenecks of graphics cards can be the CPU.

only if you have a carp cpu or a really good gcard, an 800fsb p4 would be fine

Associate
When you get some of the most newest GPU's, they say that it gets to the point when the CPU becomes the bottleneck, even the might of an FX57 (at the time of review) so it does make you wonder what speed does a CPU need to be to show a GPU's full potential?

Soldato
That's a REALLY good question. And I reckon it probably deserves a thread of it's own, graphics cards are now so powerful that there is a team looking at using their processing capacity for distributed computing projects.

CPU's are almost always going to be the system bottleneck as they have to process all the data into and out the graphics and the RAM at the same time.

Associate
I think that there needs to be a computer overhaul to concentrate on the grpahics computing power, rather than having to rely on the CPU. If there was something they could create that would relieve the burden from the CPU's shoulders we could see a complete graphical change. Nvidia & ATI can keep on giving the big "I am" by making bigger & better cards, but at some point they wont be able to get far if the pace of CPU's are changing.

Surely, at some point, somethings gotta give and somethings gotta change?

Back
Top Bottom