MINIMUM load on a power supply.

Permabanned
Hi all,

I want to run a power supply seperate from my system, by attaching the two wires on the motherboard header.
However, apparently I need to have a certain amount on the power supply. I've been told that with only a couple of cathodes on there, it will turn itself off.
What is the minumum load required for a power supply to stay on, then?
If it helps, it's an X-connect 400W.

Permabanned
Well some do and some don't and from personal experience most PSU's don't actually need a load to stay on. Just pull the PS_ON# low on the ATX connector (ie connect Green --> Ground (Any black cable)

runatx360.jpg

P.S) Using a separate 400W PSU to power a couple of cathodes is ridiculous tbh!

Soldato
I've been looking into using old pc psu's as bench powersupplies for various projects, and they all turn on ok but apparently some do need a load in order to regulate the voltage rails properly, so you might find that some of the voltages are a bit off without a load or with a very small load.

Permabanned
OP
Yeah, it isn't powering them in a PC though. It's for on a desk, as an external jobby - but need some cathodes for lighting.
Cheers for the advice - at least I know I can try it without it going bang!

Associate
you can run these via a dc adaptor i.e an adaptor powered by a wall socket plug .A lot safer and much more quiet than a psu .probably cheaper to run also .

I cannt provide a link unfortunately as i not sure if its against the rules .

Soldato
BONES__69 said:
Well some do and some don't and from personal experience most PSU's don't actually need a load to stay on.
If you run a transformer secondary without a load the winding voltages can increase and kill components. Always put a small resistive load like a bulb on the load side. Electronics 101.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom