Best prog to rip music cd's to mp3's

Permabanned
Winamp Pro can, it'll cost you tho ;)

p.s. EAC has a CDDB interface for getting track data, and the output filenames can be customised by the end-user provided you're not scared of variables, although the presets are OK.

Soldato
EAC, load CD then get file name from selected files via the freedb option, then rip to mp3 using lame (lame and EAC go together like peas in a pod).

Then mp3tag the files, freedb -> amazon.com and this will get the album art for you and voila. Fully tagged complete with album art media.

Itunes, add folder -> new album added to library.

Associate
How do you find exact audio copy for performance?.

I currently use musicmatch jukebox Pro as it came bundled with my Archos, I only use it for ripping since it is very very fast!, less than 2mins max for a complete CD into mp3 with name and art lookup as well and normalizing etc.

Associate
I used audiograbber a year or so ago. Fastest ripping program I've used. I think it's become freeware now aswell :)

Soldato
Another Vote for EAC+LAME... Check the Special settings in the on-line manuals for some nice tweaks!... :)

As for performance... if your quite cirtain your source material (the CD) is good quality and un-scratched, turn off(or reduce) the Error correction it'll rip at about 16x upward!... otherwise it'll be about 3-4x... Me I'm in no hurry!... :D

Last edited:
Associate
EAC is the daddy of all things for getting a really good backup of your audio CD's. I eschew mp3 in favour of ogg at around 128k. Ogg really does sound stunning. I trialled AAC and AAC+ and ogg captured more of the original sound than anything else at the same bitrate (to my ears and a pair of Mordaunt Short 906's).

EAC+Monkey's Audio is the top quality. Same (literally) as the original CD. I don't know of any portable players which support it, and filesize is an issue (typical compression of only 2:1). Still, I have some 192KHz 24-bit audio packed with Monkeys and it truly is awesome.

I believe iRiver portables support ogg and their audio quality (not ogg, the iRiver) is at least as good as iPod.

Back
Top Bottom