I Hate TFT's

Permabanned
OP
Well, the CRT i used to have was years old and the picture was great! Just wondering if i get a new CRT would it give me headaches etc like the old one? Not too confident to get another TFT now after having 4 faulty ones!!

Soldato
fish99 said:
Also the best CRT tubes, Diamondtron aperture grille, were never made in 17". .

I used to own one the best 17" Diamondtron aperture grille monitors you could get at the time..It was a Iiyama Vision Master Pro 400 with a Max Resolution of 1600 x 1200 & Dot Pitch 0.25 mm

Last edited:
Soldato
I stand corrected. I hope you didn't use 1600*1200 on it, that could be bad for your eyes - the text must have been tiny. I don't use 1600*1200 even on my 19" screen.

Diamontron screens are mostly 19" or bigger then.

Soldato
Stellios said:
There are 1310720 pixels on a 1280x1024 screen providing my maths is correct. 1 dead pixel is pretty good odds looking at that.

Do the same maths on the data on your hard drive and be so forgiving about it... :)

Permabanned
OP
The Acer is a super TFT but if you have a pixel stuck etc in the middle of your screen then it can become quite annoying!

Last edited:
Soldato
I currently have a Sony SDMP234 widescreen LCD screen running at 1920x1200. It has no pixel problems whatsoever and I still can't believe it. I've had three other flatpanel screens in the past, all by iiyama, two of which had horrible pixel problems. The first one had none but this was 1280x1024.

I offloaded my third flatpanel to my housemate early last year, when I looked at it recently I noticed that all of the pixels were now functioning. He said he didn't do anything to the screen so I don't know what happened there.

I want to change my monitor at some stage to get one that supports more modern inputs (mine has 2 vga and 1 dvi input) and a faster refresh rate (my one is 16ms) but I'm scared that it will have dodgy pixels!

What are big screens like now? Are dodgy pixels still a common occurrence?

Associate
I have an "if I know its there its gonna bug the **** out of me" attitude.

I lived with a sony 17" CRT for 6yrs because it worked as it should do all that time. Still going strong now on another system.

All the TFT's I've seen other than my ACER have been what I would call perfect working order, which is why I felt it best to reject the screen in my case. If you can live with it though, all the better for you. :)

BUT, for me, anything other than perfect in terms of how something SHOULD perform is not good enough.

Last edited:
Associate
Well I have had two TFT monitors any they were from Dell. The first was a 19" which was perfect and still is not that I passed it onto my brother and my current 24" is perfect as well. It is still hit and miss though and I have been lucky with my two. I agree that I wouldn't be to happy with any faulty pixels on a monitor that I had paid a couple of hundred pounds for though my brother did have a dead pixel on his old AG nevo monitor but unless you were looking at a screen with a lot of black you couldn't see it.

The one thing I have heard about Dell though is that they will keep swapping monitors for you until you get one your happy with this and they dont leave you without a monitor. The guy who delivers you new pickups up the old one. Not sure if you get that service if bought through Overclockers though.

Associate
This issue really spilts everyone into two camps, people who can't stand stuck/dead pixels and those who don't care. If you are the in the former camp then TFT is very difficult to get along with and i would stick to CRT. Having said that i always have that urge to try another TFT but i have to resist and its fustrating so i am then left waiting for some new technology to come along. :(

Associate
My AOC LM720A, was fine for a year and a half, and then developed 1 dead pixel, they slowly started appearing around 1 every fortnight, until it got to 7 within a circle of 10cm diameter which was enough to RMA it. Seeing as it was so old, and no longer made, they upgraded me to a newer monitor, which is now a year old, no dead pixels on that yet...

Associate
I work in IT, I personally have rolled out over 100 screens of varying sizes and manufacturers with no problems. I have bought 4 diffent screens myself and not had an issue. IMO you were very unlucky.

hope that don't bogey me now!

Back
Top Bottom