Do you people still use a CRT?

Permabanned
Well, i am more than likely going to buy a CRT next week. Pity as the TFT picture was ace except for the problem with it. Wonder in what century they will have pixel perfect TFT's!!

Soldato
Flanno said:
Because people aren't made of money and/or they don't like wasting it on stuff they don't need.

You hit the nail right on the head there, but not in the way you meant to. Most of what we buy on these forums is not what we need but what we want, this is a hobby ...is it not for you too? ...if not, I have to ask ...why are you here?

I mean no offence by this, im asking as a serious question. Because I did not expect to hear someone on these forums say that buying a flashy new piece of hardware is a waste, it's something most of us do because it's our hobby and we can :D

Soldato
Moeks said:
You hit the nail right on the head there, but not in the way you meant to. Most of what we buy on these forums is not what we need but what we want, this is a hobby ...is it not for you too? ...if not, I have to ask ...why are you here?

I mean no offence by this, im asking as a serious question. Because I did not expect to hear someone on these forums say that buying a flashy new piece of hardware is a waste, it's something most of us do because it's our hobby and we can :D

People come here because it's a good forum for hardware advice, not just because OcUK sell performance hardware. They also sell regular and even budget hardware too, like all the other shops. At the end of the day it's just another retailer.

Also plenty of people are enthusiastic about PCs and gaming but don't have the disposable income to buy the best stuff, or to upgrade frequently. In that case, where someone is struggling just to maintain a entry level gaming PC, and they already have a working CRT which they're happy with, a TFT would be an extravagence they couldn't afford.

Soldato
Lots of stuff I want but can't afford. I have a 21" CRT myself and am thinking about buying an LCD but just can't justify the expense considering other things that are going on..hobby or no hobby. A year ago was different and I used blow a lot on PC upgrades...mainly graphics cards. Not today though. Also, I don't appear to be any worse off for it considering the dismal lack of pc games that are coming out that make use of the latest gpu's. Makes me wonder what's the point of quad-sli, but of course people will buy it because they want it and can afford it and it's their hobby. I don't know why you are surprised by my reaction. But I take your point, I don't always just buy what I need. If I had only what I needed I'd probably be living in a cardboard box with a toothbrush :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I thought the simply 'can't afford it' part went without saying, but since you mentioned it, fair enough.

I was more interested in the rest of it actually. I suppose OcUK do cater to a wider and more 'regular' market now than they used to, certainly than they initially did. I still think of it and this forum as a haven for computer/hardware enthusiasts though really. Of course I realise not everybody is, but inside the confines of this forum I tend to assume most people are.

Hence what I was saying about, not needing to replace something being odd, here it's all about upgrading for the sake of it ...for the love of it ....for the hell of it :D ...if you actually can't afford it, fair enough ...but there is no defence outside of that ...onwards to gratuitously over specified, hideously expensive, stupidly over the top computer systems that absorb waaaay too much of our time and cause 'normal' people to question our sanity :D

/emote climbs off soapbox and decides he's perhaps not had enough sleep lately

In all seriousness though I take your point, I was just curious is all.

Last edited:
Associate
I still have a CRT here - 19" Dell D1226H (AKA Sony Triniton somthingorother) was something ludicracly expensive when I got it many moons ago, very tempted to get a nice Dell Widescreen TFT from OCUK as they are so nice.

Reason for change you may ask, where I work everything is TFT and now its starting to get to my eyes when I come home from 8hrs in front of TFTs to going for another 8hrs of CRT work at home. I find nothing wrong with my CRT, its very good, but I have got multi-monitors at present and thats nice, and I am using a 17" TFT on that with my 19" CRT and the colours and forums seems so much sharper on them, so clearly my CRT is not as sharp as it was 8 years ago, so I think change is in order soon, but just got to justify the hefty price tag that goes with a nice widescreen TFT.

Associate
I've still got a CRT and I'm extremely happy with it. It's an IIyama Vision Master Pro 454, and I can't really see any reason why I'd replace it any time soon. The colours are so much better than any TFT I've seen, plus I've got a choice of resolutions to use rather than being stuck on one. I'm looking forward to some 1600x1200 gaming in the summer when I build a new computer :cool:

Soldato
A random name said:
We've still got a CRT on one of the PC's downstairs.

It is really a shock going on it though, CRT's are plain awfull :o

Bad CRTs are awful. Good ones can be stunning. My dads PC has a cheapo £120 Samsung 19" CRT and it's really dreadful in every way. It has a kind of cross hatch pattern on the whole screen, the moire is awful, the screen wobbles even though it's new, there's no contrast, poor black depth and the geometry is pretty ropey.

My Viewsonic 19" CRT with an aperture grille diamontron screen on the other hand, has a beautiful picture with none of the above problems. It looks far better than the PVA TFT I have sat next to it.

You get what you pay for.

Associate
While we are on the subject ... you see, @ office I'm still using the Nokia 19" CRT (446Pro). It has reference picture quality and it's very nice CRT screen, but each time when I power up Nokia, I'm already missing my pretty NEC LCD from home.

All in all, as fish99 already mentioned (and he is right) ... you may still find some nice CRT screens around, but I guess that times are changing and everything in our technology life (sadly) have some "cyclic" end. CRT monitors are currently at that stage, no doubt. Many of you will join the revolution, but many will stay loyal to their CRT screens. Nothing wrong with that. It's maybe their personal or financial choice or just purely their perception of the things around.

Permabanned
Well, i have had some trouble with faulty TFT's but on the plus side they are supposed to be better for your eyes. That is a big plus point as far as i am concerned.

Last edited:
Soldato
superpc said:
Well, i have some trouble with faulty TFT's but on the plus side they are supposed to be better for your eyes. That is a big plus point as far as i am concerned.
They really are better.

You can physically feel after a long time on a TFT they don't feel as bad as your eyes do if you spend that time on a CRT.

Permabanned
Yea, i have experienced that myself. I always get a headache after using the works CRT and my eyes feel heavy and dry too. I know i should get a TFT just with the problems i have encountered i am a bit nervous of getting another dodgy one!!

Soldato
superpc said:
Yea, i have experienced that myself. I always get a headache after using the works CRT and my eyes feel heavy and dry too. I know i should get a TFT just with the problems i have encountered i am a bit nervous of getting another dodgy one!!

Buy a philips 20" widescreen tft and if you have a dead pixel I will transfer £10 to your account. Thats how confident I am in them.

Soldato
A random name said:
They really are better.

You can physically feel after a long time on a TFT they don't feel as bad as your eyes do if you spend that time on a CRT.

Most time I could spend on my crt was 2 hours per session - and even then I would still get a sore head. Now I can game all day and watch sky+ on my TFT and never have any problems.

And yeah I need to get out more. :D

Man of Honour
2x24" Sony CRT's and 1xIBM 21" CRT and you'll have to pry them from my cold dead fingers...

TFT's give me headaches, can see the damn things shimmering - but the main killer for me *apart from the poor colour reproduction, horrible resolutions amongst many other problems* is the inability to have different resolutions looking good on them.

I frequently run one of my Sony's in 2304 x 1440 for video editing and the other in 720x640 for the preview screen at the correct DVD res... *it's a 16:10 screen so a dvd will display pixel for pixel in that*

Oh...and it runs via component. :D

Simon/~Flibster

Last edited:
Associate
Sony 24" GDM-FW900 CRT here with no plans on getting rid of it anytime soon.. I actually did buy an LCD (Dell 2001FP) but quickly returned it,I had them both running side by side which was enough for me to realise LCDs are no match for a high end CRT ;)

Soldato
22" Iiyama Vision Master Pro 514 here

Tis the best thing I have every purchased PC related, just ahead of the 19" 454 the Mrs now uses.

I use decent tfts at work but I would still get another 514 given the choice, the squarefoot or whatever it is of deskspace is not worth having an inferior screen.

Back
Top Bottom