I gotta use a floppy to install Windows onto a SATA drive?

Associate
Is this true? Windows won't recognise my drive so i need to install drivers using a floppy? I don't even have a floppy drive. Is there any way past it? The drive i'm buying is a Western Digital Caviar 250Gb.

~Ragnaros

Permabanned
You don't NEED a floppy for anything anymore :D
It use to be the case that you NEEDED a floppy for SATA/SCSI drivers during installation (BIOS and TRUE DOS procedures can be done simply using a DOS boot CD)
However thanks to the superb nLite this is no longer the case as you can very simply and quickly slip-stream any needed drivers into your XP disc using that :D

http://www.nliteos.com/

Last edited:
Man of Honour
BONES__69 said:
You don't NEED a floppy for anything anymore :D
It use to be the case that you NEEDED a floppy for SATA/SCSI drivers during installation (BIOS and TRUE DOS procedures can be done simply using a DOS boot CD)
However thanks to the superb nLite this is no longer the case as you can very simply and quickly slip-stream any needed drivers into your XP disc using that :D

http://www.nliteos.com/
This is the way forward ive just done it for my SATA drive and it works a treat :D

Associate
no. not tried using it yet it saying something about ( locating the windows installation file to customize )

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Ragnaros said:
Is this true? Windows won't recognise my drive so i need to install drivers using a floppy? I don't even have a floppy drive. Is there any way past it? The drive i'm buying is a Western Digital Caviar 250Gb.

~Ragnaros

It may be that you won't even need drivers to install windows, most new mobos will allow you to set the SATA controller(s) to emulate normal IDE ports which the Windows install will recognise natively.

Associate
As long as you're not using RAID, Windows XP will install fine onto a SATA drive on an nF4 motherboard without slipstreaming. RAID will either need the drivers slipstreamed or floppy disc'd for the install.

Back
Top Bottom