HD Temp problem please help!

Soldato
Hiya,

I ordered from OCuk on the 11th April a Western Digital WD2500KS 250GB SATA2 16MB Hard drive

Im using it as a 2nd drive, but I have just loaded hdtune and speedfan to double check, but the temp is ultra high!

The drive is slightly above my Hitachi disk, so not exactly in a different part of the PC.
Also, it has a 92mm fan behind it pulling the air straight out the back of the case. (Thermaltake Armor drive cage has that for those who know it)

hd.JPG

As you can see! Its way higher than the other stuff in my pc

XP4400+ X2
MSI K8 NEO4 PLATINUM
1X 250GB HITACHI SATA 2
1X 250GB WD SATA 2

What do I do folks? I've heard anything over 50 degrees is trouble for hard drives!

Its now on 58 Degrees, and im not even using the drive, the rest of my system is cool!

Its only been 7 days, can I RMA it?
After this I dont want a WD drive I want another brand instead.

Last edited:
Associate
simple and easiet test, is to touch the hard disc should burn your finger if its 55c
if doesnt burn you then hard disc sensor is way off.

Soldato
cavemanoc said:
I didn't think 55C was hot for a Hdd - try googling to see what others have got.
It is a little hot, my old Maxtor drives ran at 50C max and that was next to each other with no cooling at all and while seeking.

But it all depends on where the sensor is and how accurate it is, only way to verify is to touch both harddrives, there should be a noticable difference if they really are 29C and 56C

Soldato
OP
I think the sensor is way off,

The system has been off all day, just turned it on into windows, the Hitachi reports 21 degrees, the WD at 50degrees and climbing (its not even in use!)
The system has been on like 2 minutes literally!

Ive been told to RMA it to WD from OCuk, well thats not good enough i've only had the drive a week!!! Surely they should take it back!
WD say it takes 3-4 weeks for Replacement, there is NO WAY im gonna be doing that after buying a drive a week ago!

If it is, then OCuk have lost all my business from now on.

Permabanned
Your contract is between yourself and OC's. They legally must accept returns for faulty items but can suggest to you that instead return it too manaf. as this is all that they would do.

If you want you can insist that OC's take it and sort the problem out FACT.

P.S) Have you actually tried touching the housing of the Hd to see if it is indeed significantly hotter than the other Hd?? Personally I could not be assed to send back a new Hd 'just' because the internal tempsensor was reporting incorrect high temps!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ok I have now touched the top of the drive.

Both are cool, not even warm to be honest.

Thats the top bit by the sticker/power connectors side etc

I didnt really touch the bottom of the drives.

I take it thats just a faulty thermostat and really I can demand a refund for that, and order another drive instead...?

Permabanned
SeanyK said:
I take it thats just a faulty thermostat and really I can demand a refund for that, and order another drive instead...?

Of course you can, but personally I REALLY could not be assed sending it back with such a minor fault like that provided the drive is working perfect otherwise

Soldato
OP
True mate, but remember, that when the drive really IS that hot I will never know!

It's basically a defect from the factory, and when important data is concerned, I dont want that sorta issue hanging over...!

kbc

kbc

Associate
I have 2 of these "WD2500KS" and they don't run as hot as you've suggested from that photo. My Everest reports one at 31C and the other at 38C... don't believe they ever hit 40s. :)

So perhaps there might be an issue with your drives. Bit of an anomaly if the other components in your system are very cool.

Soldato
OP
It seems it mate, reporting 28 degrees on my Hitachi main C drive.

And the WD is at 58 degrees!

Its an important drive as well, so I dont wanna take any chances :(

Soldato
Just send it back to OCs mate. You have established that you can't in fact brew up on it, so there is a definate fault. OC cant refuse to take it back afaik if it is faulty goods.

You shouldn't dismiss WD entirely on the basis of a faulty drive - it happens to all manufacturers. However if you are still intent on changing, try Seagate - nice shiney 5 Year Warranties. There is also Samsung and Hitachi :D

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom