XP and Hard Drive Size

Associate
I've got an early version of XP Pro that has not got SP2 built into it (I have got the SP2 update CD from Microsoft).

I am fitting a new 160gb SATA hard drive (not in RAID). My BIOS sees it as a 160gb drive but when I install XP it sees it as 127gb (or thereabouts). My plan was to do the install including SP2 then in Admin Tools/Disk Management get Windows to see the drive as one 160gb drive. I have done this but cannot do the last bit as I can't see how to get Disk Manager to combine the two portions of the drive ( one 127gb approx and one 21gb approx ) into one seamless hard drive. I understand XP takes up some of the HD so I won't get the full 160gb but would like to end up with one C: drive making use of all the avilable space on my new drive. If I can't do it with XP is there a free utility programme that will do it for me??

Soldato
You cannot extend the system partition in Windows, I'm afraid you're stuck with looking for a third party utility (Patition Magic - or preferably, a different one). Your other option is to slipstream SP2 onto a new CD and reinstall onto the whole disk.

Soldato
BONES__69 said:
Just a note, having a large C: drive/partition (10Gb+) is a very poor and inefficient way to setup up a PC!!

eh? I've got a 20Gb C partition and I find after a few months that soon fills up. I try to install games away from that partition these days, but even now its at 7gb on a week old xp install.

20gb to 30gb is adequate unless you like to install everything onto the c drive.

On topic, nLite is very good once you get the hang of it. You just copy over the original disc to your drive, run nlite, add the sp2 bits and burn. It can get more indepth than that, but I've gone overboard before and removed a lot of stuff, like media player, that you cant install after...

Soldato
I think 20gb should be the max for XP! & first thing to do, is move the 'My Documents' folder to another patition. Don't know how many times that has saved me. Besides it makes doing a format of the main partition much easier.

Associate
OP
Was up until 0130hrs trying to slipstream but keep getting stuck at burning the image. The instructions refer to NERO Burning ROM, which I have, but I cannot get to the advanced burning options described where you go into advanced settings select No Emulation, Change the number of loaded sectors to 4 etc.I have made 10 CDs that didn't work so far!! Any ideas?

Soldato
joroma said:
Was up until 0130hrs trying to slipstream but keep getting stuck at burning the image. The instructions refer to NERO Burning ROM, which I have, but I cannot get to the advanced burning options described where you go into advanced settings select No Emulation, Change the number of loaded sectors to 4 etc.I have made 10 CDs that didn't work so far!! Any ideas?
What version of Nero have you got?

I think you need version 6 or higher for those options to appear as they are not in earlier verions.

Did you use this Nero guide?
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstream_nero_procedure.htm
In the [Relax ISO Restrictions] section it's essential you check the [Do Not Add the ';1' ISO File Version Extension] checkbox or the slipstreamed CD will not be able to boot. If this option is not available on the ISO tab, you must stop now and upgrade to a newer version of Nero - Burning Rom before proceeding.

Associate
OP
Bingo!
Used nlite to slipstream my XP installation CD and SP2 even added the Product ID and language / keyboard settings etc and it worked a dream. What a brilliant programme.

Back
Top Bottom