• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gainward bring you a 512MB 7900 GT for AGP!!!!

Associate
Still happy I got my 7800(GT) :cool: .
I `had` to buy when I did due to the end of my tax year, and £352 is too rich for me for a GPU

You can get a very good XBox360 setup for that money, with no need for other bits like CPU,HD etc

Having said that, it`s nice to see that AGP is still seen as a worthwhile market and there is a reasonable choice for end users @ different price / performance points, I guess you pays your money and makes your choice :)

Associate
trojan698 said:
Whether socket 939 is dieing or not is another matter entirely. PCI-E will be around for a long time and AGP wont. £350 would buy you an X1900XT-X.
Which will be out of date by the end of the year/start of next when DX10 specific cards appear and blow the current gen away....

By the time I want another graphics card i'll be wanting a AM2 based board anyway, PCI-e motherboards being bought now are already superceeded...

The point is that any claims around buying a PCI-e motherboard and graphics card now for the same price as this AGP 7900GT because they will last longer don't stand up. Both an AGP board & 7900gt AND a PCI-e board and 7900gt will both be out of date this time next year. Changing to a current generation PCI-e motherboard now would buy me no extra time at all...

No matter if it was the PCI-e or AGP version of the card it will last the same amount of time before I want to replace it because of performace, PCI-e doesn't change that.

Last edited:
Associate
tmileson said:
Which will be out of date by the end of the year/start of next when DX10 specific cards appear and blow the current gen away....

By the time I want another graphics card i'll be wanting a AM2 based board anyway, PCI-e motherboards being bought now are already superceeded...

The point is that any claims around buying a PCI-e motherboard and graphics card now for the same price as this AGP 7900GT because they will last longer don't stand up. Both an AGP board & 7900gt AND a PCI-e board and 7900gt will both be out of date this time next year. Changing to a current generation PCI-e motherboard now would buy me no extra time at all...

No matter if it was the PCI-e or AGP version of the card it will last the same amount of time before I want to replace it because of performace, PCI-e doesn't change that.
Agree with the above, even harder if you have a socket 478, I did strongly look into getting x1900 / x1800 but would have to get a very basic mobo ( IC7-G now ) and get a better PSU. Was not worth it to me when I will be doing new build for vista / DX10 and would then have to start again, so Gainward 7800GT was ideal compromise, 7900GT would have been nice but too much £ £ £ for me ;)

Permabanned
Nobski said:
Agree with the above, even harder if you have a socket 478, I did strongly look into getting x1900 / x1800 but would have to get a very basic mobo ( IC7-G now ) and get a better PSU. Was not worth it to me when I will be doing new build for vista / DX10 and would then have to start again, so Gainward 7800GT was ideal compromise, 7900GT would have been nice but too much £ £ £ for me ;)

Not necessarily, I had an IC7 and bought an Asus P4V800-DX brand new for £35. The board has all the features of the IC7, dual SATA etc, lets me overclock the p4 to 3.3 gig and allows me either PCIexpress or AGP.

Soldato
tmileson said:
I could equally say it baffles me why people spend so much money on the current gen PCI-e Socket 939 motherboards which are lets face it a dieing platform :p

A standard PCI-e board with current RAM and a PCI-e video card really doesn't have much more of a life than my AGP 7900GT, 2GB, X2, set up :D

But i be able to upgrade to the lastest motherboard and CPU in 6 to 12 months time and still be able to use my pci-express graphics card....Can you say the same with your £350 AGP card..

(The new intel Conroe cpu looks interesting...(I wonder how many AGP motherboards will support it :eek: )

Last edited:
Associate
chaparral said:
But i be able to upgrade to the lastest motherboard and CPU in 6 to 12 months time and still be able to use my pci-express graphics card....Can you say the same with your £350 AGP card..
But why would you want to use a 12 month old GPU with new and expensive CPU / mobo when the then current GPU with DX10 will be far + + more powerful. I have never upgraded CPU / mobo and used old GPU, but obviously what you suggest would give you more flexibility down the line :)

Associate
Frippy said:
Not necessarily, I had an IC7 and bought an Asus P4V800-DX brand new for £35. The board has all the features of the IC7, dual SATA etc, lets me overclock the p4 to 3.3 gig and allows me either PCIexpress or AGP.
I did look @ this mboard and it was very appealing apart from the pci-e interface being `only` x4 ~ I was uncertain how this would effect a high end x1900 type card + I would have needed new PSU as well so chose the easy way to tide me over until next year. :)
How do you find it, are you using a pci-e card with it ?

Soldato
Nobski said:
But why would you want to use a 12 month old GPU with new and expensive CPU / mobo when the then current GPU with DX10 will be far + + more powerful. I have never upgraded CPU / mobo and used old GPU, but obviously what you suggest would give you more flexibility down the line :)

Just look on this board how many people are still using the 7800gtx that came out like what 10 months ago..Plus the 7900gtx/x1900xt are very cpu limited with todays cpu's..and sli/crossfire even more so.

Last edited:
Associate
I see that the new card(the Gainward BLISS GeForce 7900 GS+) on the OC shop pages says
"Built for Windows Vista – The next generation operating system "
and
"True High Dynamic Range Rendering Support – Based on Open EXR technology"

Does the Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS have the same as it isnt stated on the same page?

I hope so as just got it so a bit > :confused:

Associate
chaparral said:
Just look on this board how many people are still using the 7800gtx that came out like what 10 months ago..And many of them have a highend daul core cpu..
I`m sure you are right, but DX10 promises to be a very large jump which if true will give most of us creditcarditis :D or :( , . . . . delete as appropriate

Soldato
Nobski said:
I`m sure you are right, but DX10 promises to be a very large jump which if true will give most of us creditcarditis :D or :( , . . . . delete as appropriate
I know everyone plus myself wants dx10..
But how many people are going to have the money for window vista and a highend dx10 card within the first few months of it release..(i can see these two items being much much £££££££££)

Associate
knightengale said:
I see that the new card(the Gainward BLISS GeForce 7900 GS+) on the OC shop pages says
"Built for Windows Vista – The next generation operating system "
and
"True High Dynamic Range Rendering Support – Based on Open EXR technology"

Does the Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS have the same as it isnt stated on the same page?

I hope so as just got it so a bit > :confused:
Does say high dynamics range rendering HDR on the box, does not say built for windows vista but I would be very suprised if it did not work with vista, same as any other current gen card, might need driver support though ?
This does not mean DX10 + other gubbings that vista will bring :(

Associate
chaparral said:
I know everyone plus myself wants dx10..
But how many people are going to have the money for window vista and a highend dx10 card within the first few months of it release..(i can see these two items being much much £££££££££)
Lol ~ Depends if you have blown all your cash going pci-e now or waited ;)

Seriously though, you are right, I am planning to wait @ least 6 months or so after vista comes out for ££ to maybe drop or hardware to inevitably improve, games that use it to be out, mature driver support, major bugs to be patched ( well some, it is still windows ) etc

100 not out :D

Last edited:
Associate
I'd just like to add that I'm another person who has just upgraded to the 7800GS(GT) less than 2 weeks ago. Again I was under the impression that this was going to be the fastest agp card you could buy, if I'd known they were going to release this card I would have waited. Not very happy.
What I would like to know is, is overclockers going to offer those that have already bought the 7800 a chance to upgrade to the 7900 for the £70 difference in cost between the two. I feel very cheated, as I'm reading rumours that gainward used the 7800 as a test, to see if there was a market there for high performance agp cards, and if the 7800 20 pipe sold well they would release the 7900 agp.

Last edited:
Soldato
dobbs2010 said:
I'd just like to add that I'm another person who has just upgraded to the 7800GS(GT) less than 2 weeks ago. Again I was under the impression that this was going to be the fastest agp card you could buy, if I'd known they were going to release this card I would have waited. Not very happy.
What I would like to know is, is overclockers going to offer those that have already bought the 7800 a chance to upgrade to the 7900 for the £70 difference in cost between the two. I feel very cheated, as I'm reading rumours that gainward used the 7800 as a test, to see if there was a market there for high performance agp cards, and if the 7800 20 pipe sold well they would release the 7900 agp.

No chance of that im afraid man!

These cards are very very rare so u could always sell it "as new" on a well known auction site and get like all your cash back no problem ;) hehe!

Permabanned
Nobski said:
I did look @ this mboard and it was very appealing apart from the pci-e interface being `only` x4 ~ I was uncertain how this would effect a high end x1900 type card + I would have needed new PSU as well so chose the easy way to tide me over until next year. :)
How do you find it, are you using a pci-e card with it ?

It is actually a PCI-e x16 slot, the ASROCK board is possibly what you are thinking about, it had a 4x PCI-e slot. The Asus board is fantastic, one of the better boards at the moment IMHO. Here is an pic from the manual to prove.

board9xy.jpg

Back
Top Bottom