Pug

Pug

Soldato
never really saw the point in restricting a 600 - seems all about the image to me, as opposed to the experience.

better to ride something builtfor 33bhp, get your kicks off it, develop your skills then move onto a proper bike (sorry :o ) for the full fun...

If my ZX6 only had 33BHP it would be ridiculous. Would much prefer a screaming unrestricted Aprilia RS 125, then move onto a RSV250 then a 600sports.

Learn to harness every last drop of speed from the frames on little (light) bikes, which will stand you massivley in good stead for a bigger bike - plus you'll know how to eke out the little bits of performance from the engines too.

400s are fun, sure, but they're old and expensive compared to similary aged 600s, and a newer 600 is often cheaper to buy and not too much more on insurance.

my 2p tho and i know people will disagree... :)

Associate
AlexG12 said:
TDH you've ridden a restricted 600 then? was it fuel injected or carb'd?
Alex

I've ridden a GSF600 bandit before and after it was restrictred. The bike is relatively low power 600cc bike, only ~70Bhp. But the difference was massive, even in 1st gear.

I'm gonna second Pug's advice. start on a small engined bike that is designed to run at ~33Bhp and learn to ride that first, like I wish I had done.

Also in my experience insurance on a 400CC sports bike is a lot cheaper than a 600cc sports bike, sv650, gsf600 do not apply.

And don't think that an RS125 will be boring and slow, well it is slow, but there is something about being able to throw it into bends faster than most big sports bikes. :p

Associate
I rode 3 bikes while restricted to 33bhp- GPZ500, SV650 and a TDR250.

All of them rode really well but I was always hankering after more power which was hell knowing all I had to do was pop some washers out. Around town and sub 70mph the bikes were fine. It was more the straight line thrash that was a bit frustrating.

For fun, nothing touched the 2 strokes. I suppose it was the power delivery but my dt125 felt faster than my gpz but it definately wasn't. Getting onto the tdr was just super fun. All the power came on at once and it was a bit frantic with gear changes. The 4 strokes were much nicer at low speeds and around town though.

The biggest thing I noticed about changing bike was road presence. On the gpz & sv I found people respecting my space a lot more and not being anywhere as rude/cheeky/annoying/tailgating. Jump onto the 2 stroke tdr and people instantly revert back to my L-Plate days.

It's a catch 22 really, have a huge buzz on a wee full-power 125 which will probably blow up OR the respect from other traffic on a bike that will never perform as it should.

Back
Top Bottom