• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1800xt over 6800gt's in sli

Associate
I did ask over in the 1800xt thread but no replies :( , I have 6800gt's in sli and although I shouldnt im very tempted to buy the 1800xt for £170 as my set up is struggling with the latest games, one example is BF2, its almost acceptable playing 1028x1024 with 2aa no af on but just that little bit jerky in some places where my fps will drop to 24-27 and its just enough to annoy me. At the end of the day Id love to get this new 1800xt and be able to play all my games at 1280x1024 with 4aa, im just worried about paying out and being dissapointed. Also have looked at benchmarks showing single 6800gt performance but its hard to tell how much better a 1800xt will be over SLI, I find my sli performance a bit underwhelming TBH perhaps its because my res cannot take advantage of it??

thanks

Man of Honour
turtle3 said:
I did ask over in the 1800xt thread but no replies :( , I have 6800gt's in sli and although I shouldnt im very tempted to buy the 1800xt for £170 as my set up is struggling with the latest games, one example is BF2, its almost acceptable playing 1028x1024 with 2aa no af on but just that little bit jerky in some places where my fps will drop to 24-27 and its just enough to annoy me. At the end of the day Id love to get this new 1800xt and be able to play all my games at 1280x1024 with 4aa, im just worried about paying out and being dissapointed. Also have looked at benchmarks showing single 6800gt performance but its hard to tell how much better a 1800xt will be over SLI, I find my sli performance a bit underwhelming TBH perhaps its because my res cannot take advantage of it??

thanks

My single GT gets >40 fps constantly with 4xaa and some AF with everything on high apart from textures on medium at 1280x1024... Something looks to be wrong with your setup. SLI is really only useful for high resolutions so the x1800xt will kick the crap outta them when it comes to low res.

Associate
what CPU and how much RAM you got man, cos it aint a graphic problem, i run that res with higher settings with a 7800GT and A64 @ 2.3ghz with 2GB ram.
you should be good if you got 2GB ram and a 2.2ghz+ proc (AMD that is)

Associate
OP
Thanks for replies, im sure that theres nothing wrong in my set up,everything checks out ok and ive been getting over 10,000 in 3d mark 05 with a few tweaks. I have a 3700sd with 2 gig ram using latest official nvidea drivers.

When I play BF2 I can play with all settings maxed and 4xaa at 1280x1024 and get an average framerate between 40 and 60fps but I think its the minimum framerate that I get in more intensive scenes that causes a slight stutter, Its pretty hard to explain but most movement is smooth its just the background scenery eg buildings against the sky that seem to have a little trouble catching up with where they should be when im turning quick and I just feel its not as smooth as it should be. The lowest framerate I have ever seen has been about 24fps but then only for a split second before shooting back up, ideally I want a card that will keep me always above 40fps I feel anything lower is noticable and kinda hoping the 1800xt would be capable of this. On the other hand I may just be too fussy..

Oblivion is the other reason I would like better performance, I am looking at only 18-20fps in outdoor scenes with HDR on and 1280x1024 res, this I know is right for 6800gt's in sli at these settings as I have compared it to a few online GPU benchmarks, in fact im getting a few more FPS than I should with HDR on. disabling HDR and using 4xaa and same res I get a slightly better 20-28fps outdoors, still too sticky for my liking :(

Im even more confused as to wheter to get one now or not????lol

Soldato
Well it would be better in Oblivion for sure, as Nvidia sucks with it. This might be fixed with a driver release though. Personaly i dont think you'll see an amazing difference in a lot of things if you changed. I know people with X1900's and BF2 still stutters for then, its all very hit and miss is BF2 performance.

If it was me, I really couldnt be bothered with the hastle tbh, specially if its not going to offer an amazing increase in performance.

And chances are, future games, like based on the Doom3 engine (Quakewars, Prey) would be quicker on your SLI GT's than a X1800XT.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Jack Bauer said:
2 Gts will be about the same as a x1800xt in 05, my m8s got a pair of ults and he gets 10k.

Jack Bauer says so, there for, its true... now go hump audrey ranes, :p

Jack Bauer said:
And chances are, future games, like based on the Doom3 engine (Quakewars, Prey) would be quicker on your SLI GT's than a X1800XT.

well, its no secret open GL isnt ATI`s strong point, just as its no secret ATI cant do AA without crippling drops in frames or shocking image quality or a combination of the bot, (plus the whole no AA + HDR sucks too :( ) but were talking a difference in fps that isnt noticable at all as the doom 3 engine despite looking good, is getting on abit now and with an X1800XT youl fly through at full AA/AF maximum testures 1280X1024 without an issue on that type of game, i know this because i have an X1800XT and i did...

bf2 performance is fantastic, im running at max settings, full AA/AF (or texture filtering as bf2 calls it...) 1280X1024 not a judder in site.

Last edited:
Caporegime
locutus12 said:
well, its no secret open GL isnt ATI`s strong point, just as its no secret ATI cant do AA without crippling drops in frames or shocking image quality or a combination of the bot, (plus the whole no AA + HDR sucks too :( )

Hmm, think you mean Nvidia can't do AA without crippling drops in frames etc... :confused:

Associate
OP
Well Ive decided to stick with what I have for the time being, seems Im looking at the same/similar performace so not worth the cash,, On a more pleasing note ive just dug out my copy of COD2 which I uninstalled a couple of months ago and forgot about and it seems to run a lot better than what I remembered, playing 1024x768 4aa and not a stutter :) could this be because of the driver updates Ive done since i last played??? Think I might try FEAR again aswell, Last time I played that was over months ago :eek: Is it just me who seems to spend more time tweaking games than playing them,lol

Associate
OP
Jack Bauer said:
you right I said it and its true :D

http://tomshardware.co.uk/2005/12/02/vga_charts_viiiuk/page18.html

however I didnt say the second quote :confused:

yeah them benchies are spot on, ive tried 3d mark 05 with a single 6800gt, 6800gt's in sli and 6800gt's in sli clocked to ultra speeds and got near enough exact the same scores as that chart shows :) Unfortunately Oblivion refuses to play with my cards overclocked, im a bit :confused: as all my other games run fine overclocked, actually oblivion doesnt even let me play with my cpu overclocked, ive had to go stock on everything to get it to play??

Soldato
Because your overclocks arent stable, do you prime 95/memtest/ati tool for 24 hours atleast each after overclock?

When i've finished overclocking my system, I run memtest for 24 hours then I run ati tool and prime 95 at the same time for 24 hours to test that its proper stable, doesnt need to be this stable for most games and I can run higher clocks to play games, but its good knowing ** 100% stable.

Back
Top Bottom