Wireless help

Associate
i have had an quick look around here and it seems the Linksys WRT54GS seems an very good router. Will it be able to share an 10MB Cable connection over the wireless network? There would be 4 pc's that need to access it. What wireless adapters should i get to go along with it?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
I have used and had good experience with the NETGEAR WGR614.

Are you proposing to connect laptops or desktops to your WLAN?

Associate
I'd suggest a router and cards with at least 108Mbit WLAN speed. 10meg connection will shift just over 1MB a second so you need a local connection capable of well clear of that. standard 54G cuts it fine if your not within 3m of the router, so MIMO (under whatever trade name the manufacturer uses) will benefit you considerably as at longer ranges the speed drops off quickly and you'll not be getting the max usage of your connection.

Associate
OP
I wil be setting this up in a flat im moveing into in june. the flat is basicly an long corridor with the 4 rooms going off to the side kinda like uni halls. Was planning on setting the router in the middle of the hall and we all can acesses it. I think theres phone sockets in every room if thats any help. Would there be any benifit of connectiong 1 to the router and 3 on the wireless?

Thanks for the help so far

Soldato
Chris19 said:
Would there be any benifit of connectiong 1 to the router and 3 on the wireless?

Get a WRT54GL and flash it with the DD WRT firmware.

Connect your PC to it and everyone else via wireless.

Access the routers settings and disable access to the router settings via wireless connection. You now have total control of everyones connection as only wired connections can access the settings page. Mwahahaha!

Joking aside, the WRT54GL allows you to use 3rd party firmwares, which greatly improve the functionality of the router. Quite handy really.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom