What words or phrases annoy you?

Soldato
Annoys me when people substitute letters without making the word shorter/easier to type. My mate is a prime example:

physics -> fysicks
screwed - skrewed
maths - maffs

Or when he comines a french-english thing, like "c u 2main" . . . aaah!

Associate
Some annoying word/phrases I hate hearing.....

you right then? - used as a greeting, instead of "hi, how are you?"
Random - I've heard this used when something strange has just happened

and my absolute favourite - Synergise (I hate most corporate speak for that matter!!).

btw, a big hello to all the OcUK people :D

Associate
Thing that's annoyed me most recently is the trend of people trying to be 'witty' and using variations on the 'Spec me a xyz' etc. Such as:

Eyeglass me a....
Specsavers me a...
Magnifying Glass me a....
Telescope me a...

:mad:

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
People saying 'like' every other word. Such an annoying and pointless thing that makes them look stupid.

Man of Honour
sara said:
Oh, another thing, I hate the "Hi, how are you?" as people walk past, with no intention of actually listening to the answer...

True, there is no point but I don't find it particularly offensive as such even though once or twice I've made a point of standing in their way just to irritate them back. A simple hello works just as well as leaving the conversation barely started.

I can't immediately think of many words or phrases that irritate me although 'geek speak' like pwnz and lol etc grate, actually come to think of it most abbreviations for the purposes of texting do as well.

Soldato
JonnyT said:
Thing that's annoyed me most recently is the trend of people trying to be 'witty' and using variations on the 'Spec me a xyz' etc. Such as:

Eyeglass me a....
Specsavers me a...
Magnifying Glass me a....
Telescope me a...

:mad:
That's a trend started by the mods here modifying the titles on people's requests, innit?

Soldato
Raist said:
That's a trend started by the mods here modifying the titles on people's requests, innit?
Are you sure, I think it's the people themselves being annoying ;) :D

What I find most annoying is the use of words like 'for sure' and 'you know'

Something like this:
You know that for sure it's annoying that people use for sure, you know :mad:

Suspended
what really makes me mad is when people say :

"oh its a long story"
and 99% of the time its not a long story and can be said in like 2 sentances .... so why do people do it grrrr its making me mad just thinking about it :mad: :mad: :mad:

Associate
When you tell someone something, they say "Pardon?" or "What?" When they actually heard what you said, and reply right after saying it anyway.

Example

"Do you have anything planned tonight?"
"Pardon?"
"Do...*butt in*"
"Oh, no i dont have anything planned tonight"

Grrr.

And since i work on the telephones for the DWP, i get a lot of angry customers on the phone regarding incapacity benefit, some who i have no doubt are on drugs, who have the smallest possible vocabulary to construct a sentence

"So mate, i went to the ***ing post office and the ****ing miserable b**** wouldnt cash my ****ing giro because she said the ****ing date had been ****ing changed on it, i need my ****ing money now"

So you spend 20 minutes trying to help them get it sorted (Next time dont try and change the date in the first place, you job dodging drug abuser) Only for him to say "Thanks for ****ing nothing you useless ****ing P****."

Now, we dont have to take these calls all the way through, but you could tell it wasnt simply because he was angry, it was how he constructs conversations.

Soldato
Sanzy said:
what really makes me mad is when people say :

"oh its a long story"
and 99% of the time its not a long story and can be said in like 2 sentances .... so why do people do it grrrr its making me mad just thinking about it :mad: :mad: :mad:
Heh heh. In the same sense, a person may be rambling on about something, then come in and say, "oh, but to make a long story short..." Too late! :p

Back
Top Bottom