Strongest wireless router?

Soldato
Hey we're looking for a strong wireless router that works through out the house atm it just reaches downstairs.. its a white belkin (cable not adsl) (Sorry i forgotten the name of it).

Any helps appreciated..

s-

Associate
WRT54GS (V5 or earlier will be better) uses MIMO to 125Mbps so you get good speed at longer ranges. (125mbit needs speedbooster card in PCs too)
I'd be suprised if you couldn't get good signal throughout your house.

Soldato
Surprised you can't get a decent connection in your house.

I've got a WRT54GL (using DD WRT 3rd party firmware) tucked in the corner of my room under a desk and can get an excellent signal anywhere in the house.

You got breezeblocks for walls or something?:p

Try changing the wireless channel of the router. Mine defaulted to channel 6 and it was constantly dropping connection. Changed the channel and now its perfect.

Mind you, I wouldn't touch Belkin equipment with a 50ft bargepole.

Soldato
GuruJockStrap said:
Mind you, I wouldn't touch Belkin equipment with a 50ft bargepole.
I'll not have that! :p - their current 7633uk4a is a great router. I bought it last week and it's a very stable connection. It happily runs 4dB SNR without dropping connection for me. It only dropped sync when it hit 3.2dB last night at peak time which was unfortunate as it had held 5728kbps with attn of 53dB for 8 hours when the SNR was 4dB.

I know it's all down to the chipset but I cannot really fault it.

Soldato
Just bought + received a Netgear DG834PN Rangemax and WPN311 rangemax PCI-card today - I've had problems with signal (fluctuating from 'ok' to 'bad') in my house before so I'm hoping the connection will be rock-solid with this setup...

I'll let you know how I get on with it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Associate
tolien said:
The GS doesn't use MIMO, and the v5's the useless one.

Well not "MIMO" as such but every >11g Router uses it's own propriatory version of the technology. Increased range, dead spot reduction, and combination of chennels to give >54Mbps transfer... Virtually the same bar a few politically significant alterations.
And i believe i said earlier than V5 would be better. Tho in this instance even the V5 would suffice.

Back
Top Bottom