Poll: Poll: What was your first Hard Drive Failure?

What was your first Hard Drive Failure?

• Maxtor

Votes: 212 38.4%
  • Seagate

Votes: 55 10.0%
  • Hitachi

Votes: 14 2.5%
  • IBM

Votes: 127 23.0%
  • Western Digital

Votes: 73 13.2%
  • Fujitsu-Siemens

Votes: 22 4.0%
  • Samsung

Votes: 24 4.3%
  • Other - Please state

Votes: 25 4.5%

• Total voters
Associate
My only failure has been - you guessed it - a Maxtor. It was a 40GB drive in a Dell. The computer shut down in the middle of a game of Red Alert 2 and refused to boot up again. I've been fine since then though...

Associate
Thread revival? Fair enough.... so I'll add in details about an old PC that came my way. A Maxtor 80GB disk was setup as a slave. It started spitting out SMART errors as a pre-runner to total failiure. This happened last week. When I checked the serial number, it was exactly three weeks after the warrenty had run out!!

That is kind of evil. This means that the end user doesn't actually get a real two/three/five year warrenty. The warrenty starts from the date of manufacture, not the date of purchase. Which is a little dodgy if the hard drive had been sitting on a shop shelf for a few months.....

In this PC there was an interesting problem that I had noticed in the run up to this failiure. The Maxtor was running VERY hot (checked with Speedfan and showing mid to high 50's). Espeically if asked to transfer a few gigs of files across the network. IMHO it was the heat that killed it. So remember to cool your drives.... :)

Soldato
OP
Overlag said:
what did your's die of?

mine has a smart error in the "seek rate" test.

the drive seems to work fine (its got XP64 installed, and a few games) and doesnt seem to suffer much... :confused:
The dreaded spin up, click, spin down, no load. I couldn't bear it!

Soldato
A little 3.5" Rodime with the external stepper motor. Got stuck, thought it was Lazy Drive Syndrome but even after manually moving the cylinders with a screwdriver and turning the stepper it still wouldn't initialise.

Rodime stopped making drives when they realised that as the originator of the 3.5" format they could make far more money just collecting license fees from all the others.

Soldato
hi_tech_guy_18 said:
I beat both of you 2x 300GB Maxtor’s DM10 ATA133:
One died withing 40 Mins the other 1 hour and 40mins

Thank god the RMA Replacements are working fine

my last two harddrives lasted no longer than 2 weeks though.

i brought a 250gig maxtor, which died (and took out a BIG chunk of "downloads") so i asked the shop i got it from to refund for that drive and id spend more on a raptor

the raptor died too.....lol

probably going to RMA that to WD themselfs though.

Associate
gr1mey said:
Ive never had any problems with harddrives, my main problems have been with RAM just randomly deciding to die on me :(

E.S.D :p
99% of static damage to Volatile Memory doesn't kill it but severely reduces it's life, especially when overclocked + volt-modded.

Associate
Make: Seagate
Model: Unknown 1GB Slim line (yep 1024MB hdd, twas a while ago)
Dead on Arrival: No.

Reason: Utter sh!te disks, only bought it because it was a super slim disk, went through several, of the same model!

Soldato
No problems as of yet. Touch Wood.

got 2x 120GB Maxtors
1x 300GB Maxtor
1x 200GB Seagate

before that i had an 80GB Maxtor and 80GB Seagate both fine.

EDIT: why do they say 300GB? when its 279GB or 200GB and its 186GB? why dont they rate GB's as 1024 megabytes?

Back
Top Bottom