Please explain stand-offs between mobo and case

Associate
Excuse me starting a new post, this is still on the subject of non-POSTing GeForce 6100 + Sempron + 512mb DDR400. I'm just desperate for attention!

Besides the user-review saying that the board won't POST with DDR400, I've also found one saying (I'm paraphrasing):

"Make sure you have a metal screw in every standoff hole in this board. I put a plastic stand-off in one and the board wouldn't POST until I replaced it with metal".

So did that reviewer have a case like mine (GlobalWin 802) which does not have a standoff positioned under one of the holes in the mobo? How can I improvise? I don't have a washer to use if I put a screw up thru the underside of the mobo to hold the screw tight to the mobo...

... and if anyone could explain what the little orangey washers do and exactly where they should go... mine are between the standoff screws and the mobo, it's always worked OK like that. Someone must have told me to put them there a long time ago, but it's been suggested that, if one uses them at all, they should go between the screws and the metalised rings around the holes in the board.

There's only 2 things left to try before writing off this board as DOA, and that's DDR266 or 333 (neither of this I have) and the replacement of the plastic standoff I've had to use.

Yours beggingly,

clemenzina

Associate
Washers protect the pads on the board when you twist the screw in. Dont need them unless you intend to install and uninstall the baord a lot.

Do use a metal post for every hole on the mobo and make sure thers no extra ones fitted in the case tha might contact something they should not.

metal standoffs can be bought or taken from scrap systems unless your case uses special ones.

One plastic stand off should not stop a sstem from working unless others are missingas wel

Associate
there are requred in a metal case else fizz bang

I nearly always test new boards on the foam before installing them, never had one not work

Associate
PinkFloyd said:
If standoffs are required how come my system worked fine before it was in a caase and the motherboard was just led flat on my desk ontop of the foam that it came on then?

It will work, but there's no escape for any Static charge. If ANY static were to contact the board it would shoot back to the PSU down the 0v traces VIA (and probably frying) delicate components on the way.

Back
Top Bottom