New build...with some temporary parts??

Associate
Hi all, I recently left the UK (about a month ago) and i am starting to miss a PC that can actually play games - mainly i just play BF2 and CS:S.

I was thinking the following:

Lian-Li V1000+ (Black)
Hiper 580w / Seasonic 500w PSU
150GB Raptor
Pioneer 111D DVD
Geforce 7900GT

However, as Conroe will be out soon i was thinking of buying the following "temporary" parts:

Opteron 144
ASUS A8N-E Motherboard (NFORCE4 Ultra)
2GB of value ram

I would then sell these later and put the money towards buying a Conroe chip, compatable motherboard and some DDR2 ram.

Good idea or not?...I brought my Samsung 172x monitor with me, so i will only be playing games at 1280x1024.

Any suggestions/changes would be great.

Associate
Looks good to me, although I'd be tempted to get the 74GB Raptor as it's less than half the price of the 150GB version, and enough space for games and apps to fit on there. With the money saved you could buy a 250/300GB HDD for storage.

As far as the temporary parts go, if you only need them for a while and then you're gonna ditch them then it might be better to get something 2nd hand that'll do the job for now. Otherwise you're gonna make a fair loss when you come to sell them. The rumours going round suggest Conroe's due for a June launch so hopefully not long to go.

Associate
I agree with Logan09 you be better off buying 2nd hand, as AMD will be being out a new CPU socket in May that will support DDR2 memory, new chipset NF5 is coming as well.

This would be a better time to pick up some 2nd hand bits then as people upgrade

If you buy new now you will make a fair loss when you come to sell them

or wait until Conroe comes out in a few months time

Simon

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice, i'll take a look at finding some 2nd hand parts. The place i will be buying from has a huge sale this week as it is their 10 year aniversary...obviously can't name it...and it's a Canadian site anyways ;)

I think even the 74gb raptor would be enough for me...my old PC only had a 60gb HDD and it never even got half full!!

Yeah i know what you mean about waiting around...i've been putting off this upgrade for a long time now...

Will the release date for Conroe be the same everywhere...or might N.America get it a little earlier??

Associate
Xero said:
Will the release date for Conroe be the same everywhere...or might N.America get it a little earlier??

Still no official release date at all, so as to whether it'll be released in the states earlier is anyone's guess. As I mentioned before there are rumours of a June launch, but nothing concrete.

Back
Top Bottom