Worth it or not?

Caporegime
I thought that a while ago, like 2 weeks ago...Took the plunge and brought one...

Unfortunetly my first encounter with buying a TFT has been a bad one :p IE a stuck pixel, still "trying" to get a replacement, look bleak tho :S

I say, IF you have the room, and are happy with what a CRT produces, then id stick with it, wish i just brought another CRT now, this things jsut annoying me :)

But if you can try the monitor before you buy it, by all means get a TFT, jsut dont start moaning if Bleeding starts to happen :p

Caporegime
I would, but the website is proving to be difficult to get anything out of anyone, or any sort of contact as well :)

And its been over 7 days now too, although i did inform them i wasnt happy b4 the 7 days where up.

Associate
Delvis said:
I would, but the website is proving to be difficult to get anything out of anyone, or any sort of contact as well :)

And its been over 7 days now too, although i did inform them i wasnt happy b4 the 7 days where up.

I would contact your Credit CArd Co. or Bank and tell the retailer you have done this you should soon see some action then.

Permabanned
OP
What about Viewsonic? If you have some dead pixels will they replace the TFT straight away (Swap) or will they take it away forst to check?. Just curious as my mate has a Viewsonic and it is great. I am afraid of getting one with iffy pixels!

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Can i ask how many Brand new TFT's turn out to have dead pixels. Does anyone know a rough percentage.
Seems strange that a 300 pound product is accepted in the market place if not 100% perfect or is this just an accepted thing, surely not.
Is it the case that they are just replaced and it happens, please explain.

Sorry for slight hijack but i do feel it's relevant. :)

Caporegime
Viewsonic will replace a TFT if it has 5 or more dead/stuck pixels, i have one thats highly visable, and another thats only visable at certain angles, but even then its hardly visable.

Well, at work we get TFT's through all the time, and ive never seen a stuck pixel on them, and these are all Hyundai ones, or Samsung...Only time ive seen one at work is on a laptop screen. But no your right it shouldnt be accepted...especialy when you pay X amount of money for something that is a "quality" product.

Soldato
Came across loads of LGs around college and not a single one of them have had a lazy/dead pixel.

Id definetely say its worth the risk mate, TFTs ar soo much nicer than CRTs, in my opinion of course.

Soldato
What's your reason to move to TFT? If you have the room stick I'd with a CRT, I don't anymore and I also occasionally attend a lan or two which is the original reason I bought a TFT (good cuple of years ago) as lugging a 21" monitor around was a right pain! A decent CRT is better than a TFT, although for those susceptible to "flicker" a TFT is a godsend.

Permabanned
OP
My desk space is limited so i need to get a new Monitor as my old 14'' (don't laugh) is on its way out! Been looking at getting a 17'' TFT. Viewsonic and Samsung have 2 nice ones.

Associate
on my two TFT monitors, there is noticeable backlight bleed, but only very minor, and doesn't really bother me... watching movies, designing websites and playing games seems to be fine with my monitors, but the main reason i got TFT is the fact it saves so much desk space... and a lot lighter, especially being at uni, can move it a lot more easier from uni to home.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Delvis
I would, but the website is proving to be difficult to get anything out of anyone, or any sort of contact as well

Contact Trading Standards mate. It has to be the local one for the shop though. I had a problem with an online retailer a few weeks ago and contacted their local Trading Standards and they got on to it straight away. In fact they ripped the retailer to pieces as their website did'nt comply to guidelines and were breaking the law in several areas. I got my refund very very quickly. :D

Associate
The problem with TFT is certainly a put off I nearly decided the other day on a Samsung but when I found out that it was a TN Film based panel then read this from TFT Central

they are not always very good at displaying blacks and also there is a problem with pixels dying and becoming a bright colour rather than just completely going out.

So my other choice was Viewsonic VP930 but all I hear about them is dead pixels and backlight bleed, anyone got any useful suggestions, I would like a 19” TFT for general photos the odd video, Viewing Angle 170 x 170° and a decent Contrast Ratio 1000:1 or near and a response time of around 4ms 8ms and reliable I don’t want much do I? I have at the moment an old CRT Samsung SycMaster 700ift Paper weight with no dead pixels!!!
I feel for you and the disappointment you must feel with your TFT it’s heartbreaking and a lot of the internet companies use rubbish like e-notes and 0870 numbers (or no phone at all) and take ages to respond and it can be very frustrating.

Caporegime
You dont want much? Lol its more than acceptable to want those things, especially dead pixels...Mine (So far) Appears to be a lazy stuck pixel...as the pixel was stuck on RED for about a week, with another really light blue one below it (But only visable at some stupid angle by breaking my neck ;))

So far, its died down a lot...amost invisable to any normal person, its only visable, if i point at it, or put my head 2 inches from the screen...but as i know its there, i can see it, any ther person probably wouldnt...

Basically one evening i just tapped the screen (After trying it loads a week ago...) then it just...faded out, n back in, then eventually it just faded down to what it is now...which is good for me...Just annoying the fact the way the company has treated me lol

But i do recommend this TFT...Its the View sonic vx922, its very nice i must say, and im rather picky...ive played Doom3:Res of evil so far, (Just to try and like...Fix the pixel when i first got it..) At a res of 800x600 (As my systems rahther poor currently ;) And i was happy with it :)

All i can say is, before you buy one, check the manufacturers pixel policy, the websites policy, then ways of returning the product if your not happy with it, and of course order it from a reliable site ;)

Associate
How do you find the contrast on the Viewsonic VX924, the reason I keep looking at the VP930 is the spec looks so good, but I have not yet spoken to someone who has one because some of the reviews don’t fill me with much confidence for some reason

Permabanned
OP
My Mate has this TFT and everything about the VX924 is superb! The picture quality is very very good. Crisp and the colours / brightness and contrast look ace. No ghosting in games either. I would highly recommend one.

Back
Top Bottom