New broadband ISP

Associate
Hey guys..

Well i'm currently on Tesco and they have been suprisingly good up until last month or so, where the speeds become really slow at night and it's impossible to even load webpages and these forums.

Now, it's not up to me which isp we go with, but i have an influence and also with parents wanting to go with Talk talk because of how cheap they are..I'm just wondering how good they are or how bad they are?

Budget seems to be about £10-15/20

They seem to think broadband is cheap now and they've seen isps for £9.99 but i'm sure they are all crap.

So if you could reccomend some cheap isp's which will be good for gaming and the download cap isn't below 20/30gb a month.. if thats possible :eek:

Soldato
I think it really is what you pay for.

TalkTalk involves an 18 month contract, and it's around ~£10pm if you're not on an LLU exchange.

And, along with most other cheap ISPs (e.g. Tiscali), it'll involve heavy traffic shaping on anything other than browsing & email traffic.

Fairly decent ISPs would charge around £20pm for 20Gb, around £25 for 40/50Gb as a rough estimate.

Associate
OP
tolien said:
Other than LLU (Samknows is your friend) you're more or less stuck if you expect any kind of connection for £10.

Talk talk isn't great, and they get more than their fair share of complaints.

Once again, ADSLguide is your friend (some of the ISPs in the compare should give you a start).
Yeah i know £10 will get me nothing, just them got it in there heads and it's annoying. I've seen plusnet upto 8meg for £14.99 how bad is that?

£15-20 is around max i think...

they won't pay more i know that due to the fact they dont have a clue and seen isps for £9.99 so they think that they shouldnt pay loads :mad: :mad:

Soldato
Macca said:
I've seen plusnet upto 8meg for £14.99 how bad is that?
Really quite incredibly awful, tbh.

If you want a decent connection for £14.99, you'll have to live with the cap that that price will give you.

If you go for an 'unlimited' option at that price range, then it's going to be traffic shaped so hard that anything other than browsing is likely to be practically unusable.

Caporegime
a) Plusnet aren't a particularly good ISP in the first place (aggressive traffic shaping, frequently changing T&Cs, iffy customer service, public statements that are downright lies, the list goes on).

b) Which £14.99? There's one with a 3GB peak/50GB off peak limit ("Broadband Plus", with more traffic shaping than you can shake a stick at) and another with a 1GB "included allowance" then £1/GB after that ("Pay as You Go", surprisingly enough).

Associate
OP
csmager said:
Really quite incredibly awful, tbh.

If you want a decent connection for £14.99, you'll have to live with the cap that that price will give you.

If you go for an 'unlimited' option at that price range, then it's going to be traffic shaped so hard that anything other than browsing is likely to be practically unusable.
Ok, just as i suspected. Right i'm gonna have to talk with them and give them a kick up the bum :p

I'm gonna try push them to £20-25, are there any good isps that don't have a tiny download cap and will be suitable for gaming?

What price am i looking at for ADSLMAX?

Caporegime
Nildram, 50GB/month at "peak times", up to 8Mbps, £25?
Zen, 20GB/month, up to 8Mbps, £25?

Most ISPs aren't charging any extra for Max - mainly because they aren't charged anything extra.

tolien said:
Once again, ADSLguide is your friend

Last edited:
Associate
OP
tolien said:
a) Plusnet aren't a particularly good ISP in the first place (aggressive traffic shaping, frequently changing T&Cs, iffy customer service, public statements that are downright lies, the list goes on).

b) Which £14.99? There's one with a 3GB peak/50GB off peak limit ("Broadband Plus", with more traffic shaping than you can shake a stick at) and another with a 1GB "included allowance" then £1/GB after that ("Pay as You Go", surprisingly enough).
Don't worry, i'm gonna try convince them to pay more as i said above. I haven't kept an eye on ISP's or anything so sorry i don't know much about them now.

Definately will stay clear of Plusnet.

Soldato
Macca said:
Definately will stay clear of Plusnet.
They used to be excellent - seriously decent ISP with huge range of features, good price, top notch customer service. They then went downhill. Rapidly. The only thing that's stayed the same is the price. I used to be with them, as did tolien iirc.

So there's your second point of advice - steer clear of long contracts. Monthly's good, then you can get out if/when it turns bad.

Soldato
Eclipse Option 3 has been getting good reviews for £25.

Then again have a look here which is relatively cheap and apparently a good service, especially for a lowish user like yourself.

Associate
OP
Has anyone had expierence with NDO / Namesco?

There rating on ADSLguide seems pretty good, they over upto 8mb with 10gb allowance for £21

Zen are good i take it.. interested in their up to 8mb service.

Back
Top Bottom