Asus A8N-VM CSM Micro ATX Mobo Advice..

Soldato
Hi,

I was going to purchase this mobo due to its onboard gfx card which I thought had TV/OUT....

After some research I realised there is an TV/OUT connector on the mobo but there is not actually a TV/OUT socket interface on the mobo....

So can someone spec me a mobo around the same price £58 - £65 inc VAT which has TV/OUT interface on the mobo so I can plug a tv/out cable into it.....obvisiously it would be apart of an onboard gfx card which I don't mind...

Or alternatively advise me where I can acquire an TV/OUT pci slot please?

Thanks in advance...

Associate
you can buy the tv out module, search google (ASUS Motherboard TV-Out Adapter Plate) i dont no why asus did'nt include this with the motherboard
beyond me.

there is only 1 motherboard manufacture that gives the tv out (msi) but the board is very rare never in stock, K8NGM2-FID

Soldato
OP
do you think the quality will be limited if I get this plate when I am editing videos etc?

Is there a difference having it on the actual gfx and running a seperate tv/out plate?

Or do you think the tv/out plate will cover me 100% quality and performance wise?

Please clarify...

Thanks

Associate
well the tv out had problems of being to dark, but thats fixed with newer bios updated

the tv out bracket would problay be the same as your graphics card

i sticking in a raid card in my asus csm pce i slot, so i would need to use
the actual bracket because i wont have a graphics card.

Soldato
OP
so it will be to dark which can be fixed by updating the bios.....which bios? 1017?

As I will be using the onboard gfx card primarily so will not have another gfx card you reckon once I updated the bios it will work fine?

Pls clarify....

Thanks

P.S. you cannot plug a composite cable into an s-video socket can you?

Soldato
OP
cool....

so get the tv out plate, update to bios 1017 and I should be fine?

Sorry to keep repeating myself just wanted to be 100000% sure I will be OK....

Otherwise I would change the mobo and get a cheap gfx card with tv/out....Just for tv/out tbh....

Associate
get the MSI k8NGM2-FID (if you can find it in stock) I managed to get one a few weeks ago, it's a great board and as mentioned before comes with the bracket.

Associate
MSI suck iam afraid, thats why no one will stock their products their customer support aint good at all, and the msi board aint got any firewire ports
the asus board has 2

Associate
My experience with MSi support so far is good. My surround sound bracket was slightly faulty. My email to their tech support returned a very helpful reply within 24hrs.

The MSI does have a firewire header, but also more usefully - it comes with both TV out and component out brackets. The MSI also has better HD audio.

This is before you begin to consider the problems that the A8N-VM CSM is reported to have had, particularly with USB.

I'm no brand snob - I have asus, biostar, abit and epox boards in my other PCs. When it comes to Matx 6150 boards the MSI seems to have the edge (as confirmed by the anandtech forum shootouts etc). I can't really fault the MSI so far in terms of build quality, support or reliabilty.

Associate
james32 said:
MSI suck iam afraid, thats why no one will stock their products their customer support aint good at all, and the msi board aint got any firewire ports
the asus board has 2

The K8NGM2-FID does have firewire however the other boards in the same range do not

As already said...great full featured board for a HTPC (if you can find one)

edit: ..just found somewhere that has 26 in stock !! :eek:

Last edited:
Suspended
CSM lacks optical out bracket too :rolleyes: could do with a "Deluxe" version, and I would pay a bit more for one (Gigabyte MATX is missing bracket also)

Associate
I got an earlier version of the FID which doesn't have SPDIF bracket (serial port instead) so I had to make my own :)

I think the later versions have SPDIF instead of Serial port

Back
Top Bottom