Asus TA-210/212 or Antec SLK3000B

Soldato
Has anyone bought one of the Asus cases? If so, any comments?

Thinking about one as a replacement for my SuperMicro full tower which is NOISY!

Other potential choice is an Antec SLK3000B, though the choice of PSUs is mind boggling!

The thermal & PSU requirements of my current PC aren't high at all (Celeron 1.1Ghz, Radeon 9600, single HD) but I plan to replace it later this year so would like to use the new case for that.

Permabanned
The antec is a great case for the money! Ive seen 7900GTX systems in that case with no problems. So yours should be fine.

As for PSU-
FSP Sparkle ATX-400PNF 400W ATX2.0

£30

At that price, you can go wrong with a FSP quality psu.

Soldato
Go with the antec, although depending on your next system you may want to opt for a higher end 500w+ Tagan or Seasonic PSU.

Soldato
The ASUS is a better quality case than the Antec. But the power supply is not so hot. If you can afford to junk the PSU, or budget for a good one down the road, then I'd have to recommend the ASUS.

There is real weight in the metal of the ASUS that you don't get with the Antec. The side panels are 'shaped' to stop vibration and the powder coat finish will withstand scratching far better than most. The mechanism for detaching the front panel is also very neat and has a quality feel to it.

I like them a lot. I build a lot of mini-servers on the PH-1 Barebones (the case is the 210's little brother) and people are always wowed by what a sturdy piece of kit it is.

That said, by the time you're spent £35 on a case, you might as well spend the extra and get a Centurion or a Lian Li PC7.

Soldato
OP
Thanks all, especially WJA96.

I've got a Pundit PH3 at work and thought that was quite sturdy. I'm not looking to go that small at home, especially as the half-height slots really restrict choice of add-on cards.

The Centurion styles are a bit too much bling-bling for me, I prefer the front of the Asus (especially the stealthed drive bays).

I'm sure the 360w PSU would be suffucient for my current build, so that'll do until I work out what I want next (I like the idea of a Core Duo based system).

I do like the look of the Asus TM-21 but can't find it in the UK. :(

Suspended
Vote for the SLK3000B here - got good reviews, can be made quiet and supports Intel TAC spec. SLK3800B version is also a choice, as that is the same case with a SmartPower2 400watt PSU....

Associate
Would not describe the Asus TA-210 as sturdy. Acceptable yes and reasonably smart but the metal on mine was pretty thin. Its a good basic case with plenty of room.

Soldato
For anyone here with this case...I'm considering getting the Asus TA-210/212 case. Is it big enough to accomodate an Akasa AK-902 EVO CPU fan? There doesn't seem to be many reviews of this case online, or any good detailed pics, is there room for an intake fan at the front and can you somehow fit a 120mm fan somewhere?

Soldato
WJA96 said:
Yes to the Akasa, yes to the front fan (80/92mm mounting holes) and no to the 120mm.

I'm going to order it soon, but just have one question, does the front of the case have mounting holes for 80mm and 92mm or just one of them? :)

Back
Top Bottom