Lifes actually not that bad

Associate
Sorry if I ramble on here but I thought I got a rather sharp shock to the system which in turn has led me to believe it was a moment of clarity. I was in Tescos on my lunch break moping around just trying to kill some time and trying and find something vaguely appetising to eat when I say somebody in a wheelchair with what looked liked Parkinson’s, who looked vaguely familiar. I then realised that he used to be in the same class as me in secondary school (I’m 21 btw).

I never really knew him too well, he was quite reserved never making a scene and just generally happy to just get on with his work. I started talking to him and sure enough he recognised me. It turns out that after a bad accident that left him in a coma for 2 weeks, after which he has developed Parkinson’s.

It horrified me to see somebody my own age in this kind of state, unable to live any kind of normal life, where even seemingly mundane tasks are daily battles.
Yet despite this he was out shopping by himself, determined to get on with his life, he refused my offer of any aid even using the self-serving checkouts despite not being able to even hold the money straight.

Before today I had always complaining about how things are unfair in my life, convinced that I had things hard and generally feeling sorry for myself (sound familiar?) although I was always told that there are people far worse off than myself out there it never really sunk in. My problems are NOTHING compared to so many people out there. They would give anything to be in my shoes, a decent enough job (sure I hate it but so what) a roof over my head. A fully working body (I hope) and a family that loves me.

Sure I have my problems but nothing is perfect and sooner we all realise this the better off we will all be.

Anyway sorry to ramble on (I did warn you) but I thought I would share this with you guys.

Have a good day,

I know I will. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Yes, your right. It takes something like what you've experienced this morning to make you count your blessings and to realise that life isn't so bad after all.

Soldato
Good for him that he wants to stay self sufficient, I hope he stays able to for years to come :)

This is very much the anti-emo thread. All the depressed for rubbish-reasons-types would do well to read it.

Permabanned
I recently witnessed a kind of "emo gathering".

A boy was crying because life was one long funeral or something. His girlfriend was crying because he was crying. Her friend was cutting her hair with paper scissors whilst crying. Shedding her old dead self apparently.

So pathetic it was untrue. Only the bravery of some people who are truly suffering, tend to bring it into perspective.

Permabanned
iCraig said:
I recently witnessed a kind of "emo gathering".

A boy was crying because life was one long funeral or something. His girlfriend was crying because he was crying. Her friend was cutting her hair with paper scissors whilst crying. Shedding her old dead self apparently.

And you resisted the urge to point and laugh at them! Soem people need a real slap in the face with reality (preferably in the form a large wet trout!)

Permabanned
jezsoup said:
And you resisted the urge to point and laugh at them! Soem people need a real slap in the face with reality (preferably in the form a large wet trout!)

I didn't laugh because it wasn't funny. It was just sad and pathetic, when I said that they need "a ****ing reality check" they called me a dove catcher. WTF. :confused:

Permabanned
Frosti said:
Good post dude! :) Well done you for going and talking to him and not letting this chance pass you by through fear of being wrong or not wanting to make a fool of yourself. Two people have gained from your actions.

The trick is to remember that uplifting feeling of awareness and realisation that you felt then, and be able to recall it when you need it.

Soldato
I could do with something like this happening to me.....a big reality check.

I feel like I'm scared to be happy about anything at the moment, yet I have many many things to be happy about. Doing far too much self pitty wallowing for no reason.

I need a slap to be honest :rolleyes:

Soldato
There's this dude in a wheelchair that goes out in the same "rave" club I go too, whenever I see him there would always be a few people next to him praising him for being brave enough to go out. Last time I was out we had a chat, I was like, dude you must get pretty annoyed with all these people saying how brave you are. He said "yeah man, what the hell is up with that, I am a normal person who goes out to have fun the same way they have fun, I am not brave, I just like the music".

:)

Caporegime
MookJong said:
I could do with something like this happening to me.....a big reality check.

I feel like I'm scared to be happy about anything at the moment, yet I have many many things to be happy about. Doing far too much self pitty wallowing for no reason.

I need a slap to be honest :rolleyes:

I'll gladly oblige :D:D:p

/me slaps MookJong with a wet kipper a few hundred times around the face for good measure

Feeling any better??:p

Soldato
Life isn't quite perfect for me but that's only because I'm not making the most of what I have. I really want to make more of my life sometimes because there are people who have had all this crap thrown at them yet they still go out and make the most of it. Life hasn't thrown me any crap whatsoever. The worst thing I've had to experience is the death of a grandparent, which really is something you are better off experiencing than not.

Soldato
Johanson said:
Even if everything and everyone was perfect, im sure we would still find something to complain about. Lol, humans :p

It's all relative, you can find happy content people who live in terribly harsh conditions in other places in the world and lottery winners who are as misrable as sin.

It's all down to your outlook really....and I'm not talking e-mail

Back
Top Bottom