Soggy library book dilemma

Permabanned
LOL, I don't normally engage in these types of discussion, but time is on my hands just now.

After reading the most read book thread, I remembered a slight dilemma I have.

I'm a regular borrower from my local Library, have been for 20 years or so.

The other week I managed to let a borrowed book ... Andy Mcnabs, hardbook ver of "Aggressor" drop into the bath while I was taking a well earned soak for my aching back, even after grabbing it quickly, the book was pretty soggy.

I thought I'd dry it out in the airing cupboard where my water boiler is (Nice and warm in there) LOL, now the book is twice its original size and the pages are all warped ... basically the book is ruined.

I now have like a month to fess up to my Library what I've done, just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and what happened?

I realise all UK local Councils own the Library's, and may have different procedures? What I was thinking of doing was buying the exact same title from a very popular online competitor to OcUK (so I cant name them) and the same hardbook title will cost me £9.99 delivered from there, then offering it to the Library when I go back as a one to one compensation ... but knowing red tape, they may want a direct replacement from their source that often cost in the region of £50 for these kind of books?

LOL, don't get me wrong ... I'll take what's coming to me, but as Tight Scots Gits go, I'd want the cheapest route out of this little dilemma, that doesn't worry me in the slightest ... :cool: LOL.

Geee, I hope Big Bro aint watching this thread

Associate
Go back to the library, borrow as many of the heaviest hard back books you can find, go home, put them all directly on top of the Andy McNab book and leave them there for as long as possible.

Or you could do the same with a board and some weights.

Permabanned
OP
Rich1988 said:
steal the sticker and card from the book and stick it in an identical one, then they check it in and are noooonnnee the wiser ;) cunning plan eh :p

You know Rich, you are a Man after my own heart. I thought about that, but cant find the thing they scan in the book at all? Hold on, might be in the cover I removed when I thought I'd try drying the book out.

I'll report back if I can find what the library scanners look for ... LOL

Permabanned
OP
MastermindUK said:
Go back to the library, borrow as many of the heaviest hard back books you can find, go home, put them all directly on top of the Andy McNab book and leave them there for as long as possible.

Or you could do the same with a board and some weights.

LOL. I like your style.

Permabanned
Throw it through the libary window, with a note attached saying "lol sorry"

a.) They have their book back.

b.) You brought a bit of excitement into their boring tweed lives.

Soldato
iCraig said:
Throw it through the libary window, with a note attached saying "lol sorry"

a.) They have their book back.

b.) You brought a bit of excitement into their boring tweed lives.

yup awesome idea :p then not only do you have to pay for the book but for the window :p

Soldato
I worked in a library on saturday mornings for a couple of years and they WILL make you pay for it through their proper sources and routes. I don't know if that will be more expensive, but they won't just let you get one from Amazon.

Buying your own and swapping all the library stuff to it sounds like a good idea to me.

Soldato
actually if you buy the book most libraries won't accept it, because it has to go through the ridiculous red tape type thing and if it comes into the system as a gift, it affects their funding the following year - stupid i know, but i used to get hardback copies of books that had come out in paperback really cheaply and i used to pass them to my library. A few years ago they had to decline taking them as their new funding procedures would take into account 'gifts'. Stupid tbh but that's the way it is.

Just stick it under the heaviest thing you can find and leave it. I'm pretty sure they won't say a dicky bird to you, most people who work in them won't give a hoot. If they do, offer to pay for it - usually the price they ask is the list price anyway which is more expensive than say, tesco, but usually cheaper than waterstones or borders.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Sneak into the library at dusk, bind and gag the old lady whos locking up, replace the book, set the place on fire and shoot the old crow on your way out.

It's what McNab would've wanted.

Associate
That has happened to me before, I just went in gave them the book and walked out. It wasn't mentioned and I didn't have to pay for a replacement or anything either :)

Associate
Well it may have sounded like the oldest excuse ever, but I found myself taking a book back to the library that my dog had eaten. Well most of it.

I had no idea what to expect, a huge fine ? I ban from my local library ? ... I even thought about buying a new copy from a bookshop and giving them that as well as the shredded version.

They saw the funny side and said I had to pay for the book, but it was nothing like the actual retail price - so all was well.

I am sure bath water soaked books have been taken back to your library before.

Back
Top Bottom