How to flash a mobo bios without a floppy.

Associate
I need to update my AW8 bios as its on bios 10 which doesnt pick up 533fsb chips, I can get into the bios but no more, how else can you flash it without a floppy.
I have tried to make a usb stick into a bootable drive but the guide was confusing and didnt work right, I have also tried making a cd-rom with the files on but it doesnt pick that up either?
Any help would be great as when I click alt+f2 upon bootup all it looks for is a floppy.

Soldato
Try this to make a bootable CD.
It works with all the flash utilities I have tried.

A thought....when you try the alt+f2 method, whats your boot order as I know ASUS used to supply a recovery CD with a BIOS on it for some boards.

That bootable CD should work fine, if the boot order is CD first.

EDIT: Taken from the ASUS site....

Use built-in EZ Flash BIOS to Refresh

1. Download latest ASUS BIOS from ASUS WWW and rename the BIOS filename to "xxxxx.ROM" (xxxxx represents the motherboard model you used, eg. P4C800 BIOS is named p4c800.ROM), and save the file in a floppy disk.

2. Reboot the system.

3. When the system is at POST after reboot, please hold down "Alt" + "F2" to view the following image. You may start executing EZ Flash utility. Please place the floppy disk with latest BIOS inside and insert into the floppy drive.

Note: If you have not placed any floppy disk into the floppy drive, you will see a warning message stating "Floppy not found". If the utility can not find the correct files in the floppy disk, it will show "p4c800.ROM not found!" (Assuming the motherboard is P4C800) message.

4. The system will auto-detect whether the floppy disk contains the relevant files in the floppy drive. If there is no problem, the EZ Flash utility will begin auto-refreshing and reboot the system once it is done . The procedure for refreshing is show below.

Note: Please don't turn off or reboot the system during BIOS refreshing! By doing so, you will cause serious damage to your system!

Looks like it only works with a floppy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom