Dead cpu?

Caporegime
Ok on a friends computer, the computer powers on and the fans spin, but there isnt any output, I know the gfx card works. I was wondering if a dead cpu could cause there to be no output, or would it say cpu failure or something?

Caporegime
OP
Ill have to do that later.

Anyway I connected the other pcs mobo the the speaker on my case because his case doesnt have one for some reason. I got 10 short beeps then nothing.

Soldato
Tried a battery out CMOS reset? (You should leave this for a little while - I have had to leave my battery out for more than an hour sometimes.)

I am assuming that it doesn't even get as far as spinning up the Hard Drives?

What you can do to narrow it down is the following:

Individually remove each piece of hardware and power on, including the video card... it should get as far as initialising the Hard Drives even if you have this out.

Try moving the memory into different slots, using only one Dimm at a time.

Pull the power cord out of the PSU and leave for about 30 seconds put it back in again, this can sometimes get a PC unstuck.

Disconnect all USB devices

Try building the machine one device at a time...

Caporegime
OP
Ive done all that im just stuck on wether its the cpu or mobo. Its an asrock dual sata 2 mobo and the error codes dont seem to be on their website.

Soldato
Energize said:
Ive done all that im just stuck on wether its the cpu or mobo. Its an asrock dual sata 2 mobo and the error codes dont seem to be on their website.

I think that ASROCK use the AMI Bios - according to that the error is: CMOS shutdown Read/Write error. Hope this helps... Try a long CMOS reset power and battery out.

AMI BIOS BEEP CODES

The following are AMI BIOS Beep Codes that can occur. However because of the wide variety of different computer manufacturers with this BIOS the beep codes may vary.

Beep Code Descriptions
1 short DRAM refresh failure
2 short Parity circuit failure
3 short Base 64K RAM failure
4 short System timer failure
5 short Process failure
6 short Keyboard controller Gate A20 error
7 short Virtual mode exception error
8 short Display memory Read/Write test failure
9 short ROM BIOS checksum failure
10 short CMOS shutdown Read/Write error
11 short Cache Memory error
1 long, 3 short Conventional/Extended memory failure
1 long, 8 short Display/Retrace test failed

Caporegime
OP
I cant believe it actually worked though, after I had taken the 3200 cpu out to test it, I dropped it and it hit the ram bending about 10pins I had to use a tiny pair of scisors to straighten them and then forced the cpu into the ziff socket and crushed the heatsink ontop of it while trying to latch it on, this was after I ripped the heatsink out of the socket and the cpu came out attached to it! These things really take some punishment :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Energize said:
I cant believe it actually worked though, after I had taken the 3200 cpu out to test it, I dropped it and it hit the ram bending about 10pins I had to use a tiny pair of scisors to straighten them and then forced the cpu into the ziff socket and crushed the heatsink ontop of it while trying to latch it on, this was after I ripped the heatsink out of the socket and the cpu came out attached to it! These things really take some punishment :p

You're very lucky. If I had a hot meal for every time I've seen a single pin come off after being bent once! The new Intel LGA775 sockets are a whole bunch smarter.

Soooo lucky, I know the feeling tho, it's that kind of impending doom like you're about to stuff it up. I swapped out my iPod battery today and you have to be quite forceful to do it. Felt like I was going to throw £300 out the door :)

Back
Top Bottom