Has my Raptor just died?

Associate
Hey all, think my 74GB rap just died...I had just finished a good two hour game on BF2 and then was just sat on desktop talking on teamspeak then i hear this beeping every 2 seconds I thought it was a cable hitting a fan but i then taken my headphones off and got down to my case windows and thn thought it was my cd drive, so i taken the case window off and heared my raptor beeping by this time i go back onto my pc and nothing worked...so i reboot and it says insert a windows boot up cd...wahhhhhhh

can harddrives even beep? bcoz its not coming from the mobo. It shows up in bios and like i said onces its posted it acts like there isnt a boot up drive there.

A mate gave me this link...what do you guys think.
http://www.support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Thanks

Soldato
First step should be to check to see if your HDD is in fact dead. Go to Western Digitals website and download their HDD diagnostic tool. You may need to create a bootable CD. Once youve got it running it should tell you if there are any hardware issues with the Raptor.

If it is dead then its an RMA time and hope you backed up :)

If it says you're drive is fine, you may want to look at your mobo.

SiriusB

Associate
OP
ah thanks for the info mate, the raptor is only my bootup drive with my games and apps on, my 300gb is still alive and kicking :)

Can i still rma it if its over a year old because im not sure how old it is, it was from ocuk and i still got the paper work somewhere.

thanks

edit: I dont have a floppy drive :(

Last edited:
Soldato
elite said:
but i got it from ocuk so i thought it would have to go through them.

Shouldnt need a floppy mate: http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=1&swid=30

Follow the instructions there :)

As for your RMA - assuming it does show up a problem it should give you a diagnostics or error code. Write it down along with the serial number of your drive and any other numbers that look important lol.

Then just go to WDs website and look in support for RMAs. Since you have a 5-Year Warranty there shouldnt be any problems

SiriusB

Associate
Yep, just got notification of my own RMA'd Raptor being shipped to me today. I didn't even give them an error code - just told them it was broke!

I did download the diagnostic later and ran it, it couldn't communicate with the drive (drive not ready).

There are far too many Raptor failures for my liking, despite the 5 year guarantee my feeling is that these drives are more prone to failure than most people think - and WD would like you to believe...

edit: Just noticed the replacement is a WD740GD-00FLC0, the FLC0 is the later & faster revision. Worth having it break for that reason :) I don't know why WD don't offer firmware upgrades...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom