Happy Birthday oceaness!

Soldato
birthday.gif

As hes apart of the time, thought it would be best to Wish him a Happy Birthday in here :)

Happy 19th Mate!

Hope you have a good day!

toast.gif

Associate
Ha Ha

Surprised! :D

Thanx all :)

Nope no cruncher for my birthday unfortunately.
However I may well be using some of the money I got, to build a dual opteron 265 system (2*265=4 cores :D). Just need a reasonable board so I can clock them a bit at least.

Soldato
OP
oceaness said:
Ha Ha

Surprised!

Thanx all!

Nope no cruncher for my birthday unfortunately.
However I may well be using some of the money I got, to build a dual opteron 265 system (2*265=4 cores :D). Just need a reasonable board so I can clock them a bit at least.

ooooo :D That would definatly produce some nice PPD scores :cool:

Boards tend to be very pricey though, dont they. Not that easy to come by.

I hope we do see you with one of them machines. Would be great for sure :D

Associate
So far I've manged to price up:

£458.02 2 AMD Opteron 265 (£229.01*2)
£318.43 Tyan Thunder K8WE (non-SCSI)
£86.95 SilverStone Temjin TJ05
£103.39 FSP Sparkle Epsilon 700W
£160.48 2 1GB Corsair PC3200(DDR400) (£80.24*2)
Total= £1127.27 (excl. delivery)

Also need to work out some watercooling of some sort:
3 Northbridge water blocks? Am I right in thinking those 3 black low profile heatsinks are northbridge block sized?
2 940 CPU water blocks
1 Pump
1 Radiator
1 Reservoir
And probably a GPU water block

Soldato
OP
Better off the board here mate...

ftp://ftp.tyan.com/img_mobo/i_s2895.tif

The 2 near the PCI-E slots are NB sinks. I think the other is a SB sink. I would'nt think you need to have a block on that. Might just get away with a NB block on the first NB. Could get a gpu in there. If you get a block on that second one though, no chance your gunner get another card in there if you play to SLI.

Also, one Rad for all that? Its going to be warm water I think. Maybe want to build 2 loops or 2 Rads in one loop. Would restrict the flow though.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Oceaness, I like that you're going with an FSP power supply. However, it doesn't appear that the one you've listed will work. That one appears to be ATX 2.0. You need an EPS compliant power supply. That way it'll have the WTX 8 pin (2 x 4) CPU plugs.

EDIT: I found this on the specs page for the PSU
  • 4+4Pin Connector design, complying with the requirement of CPU for ATX or EPS system
I suppose that means that it'll work though I would never think to call that plug 4+4. :o

Last edited:
Associate
Bennah:
Better off the board? Sorry. Confused.

I think your right, I should watercool the two at the end of the graphics card slots I'm only gonna be having one PCI-Express card so iI can do both :)

I meant 1 360mmx120mm radiator mounted on the outside of the case possibly, kinda like my current rig, which incidently isn't in the watercooling thread - yet.

Billy:
I originally thought exactly the same until I spent ages trolling around until eventually I read "Epsilon is compliant with the latest Intel ATX12V 2.01 standard with the newest 20+4pin connector combination. It also provides six PATA, six SATA, two small 4pin and one 4+4 pin 12V connectors. For applications of the latest generation of dual CPU systems, Epsilon supports ATX and EPS12V server and BTX Full Tower. Dual 6-pin PCI-E interface supports ATI and NVIDIA high-end graphic cards offering excellent DIY expandability"

If thats correct it should be fine?

Associate
It'll be my new flagship rig.

I need to add up the cost of the watercooling parts too and include that. It's dear but it's essentially 2 rigs with 2 cores each with larger L2 Caches than the X2's. It also only requires 1 harddisk, monitor, cpu, graphics card, e.t.c which I have already. :)

I'm thinking about changing the PSU from the 700 watt 85% efficient FSP Epsilon with 120mm fan to the 700 watt 87% efficient Xclio with 140mm fan it's quiter, more efficient, cheaper and it's modular so less cable clutter.

Last edited:
Soldato
woah that's a mighty rig :eek:

personally I'd save myself a shed load of money and get a pair of X2/Opty rigs and a KVM switch :p
then again I'm cheap so I would say that

looking forward to see the output of this monster cruncher :)

Back
Top Bottom