Antec TrueControl 550w PSU any good?

Associate
I used to have that PSU and can say it was very good (adjustable voltage rails seemed a bit of a gimmick TBH). I only got rid of it because I've now gone to a HTPC and it was a little too loud for my liking (although not massively so).

Just had a quick google and you can definitely get it for under £60. Closer to £50 in fact.

Associate
OP
Well i found it for £52inc vat but +delivery, still all in all sounds good. I was going to order that hyper 580w one but had heard on here that the 12v rails were a bit weak. Still anythings a step up from my OEM 400W one!! I'm not going to be running SLI or Crossfire before my next upgrade so i don't see the need for one of those £80+ PSU's, good as they may be.

Soldato
I bought one of these PSUs a couple of days ago (for a good price :) ) and am generally very pleased, but I can't seem to work out how fast to run the PSU fans for general use so that they are not too noisy but at the same time the PSU gets enough cooling.

Anything over 1800rpm and the fans becomes quite loud.

Logan09, I'd be interested to know what speed setting for the fans you were using?

Associate
Roll said:
I bought one of these PSUs a couple of days ago (for a good price :) ) and am generally very pleased, but I can't seem to work out how fast to run the PSU fans for general use so that they are not too noisy but at the same time the PSU gets enough cooling.

Anything over 1800rpm and the fans becomes quite loud.

Logan09, I'd be interested to know what speed setting for the fans you were using?

It's getting on for a year now since I had mine and can't remember exactly. But to get it to run quiet enough for my liking the fan had to be v. slow, and that meant the temps went quite high.

Soldato
Thanks Logan.

I also read somewhere that the fan setting is the minimum speed at which the fans will run, and like other Antec models if the temperature of the PSU rises and more cooling is needed the fans will speed up.

Just wondered if you can confirm this?

Edit

Actually, I think what I may have read is that when the speed is turned right down to minimum the PSU behaves the same as an Antec TruePower PSU which increases the fan speeds when the temperatures rise. I think this is right anyway?

Last edited:
Associate
Roll said:
Actually, I think what I may have read is that when the speed is turned right down to minimum the PSU behaves the same as an Antec TruePower PSU which increases the fan speeds when the temperatures rise. I think this is right anyway?

I think that, as you initially suggested, the fan speed you set is the minimum and the PSU increases the speed as the temp rises. That's how I remember it anyway.

Soldato
Thanks Logan, thats much appreciated and good to know.

It means I can now safely turn the fan speed down to minimum and save my ears whilst at the same time know that the PSU will increase the speed when it needs to and is in no danger of overheating :p

Back
Top Bottom