Getting a bike, convince the parents....

Soldato
Hi all,

Well I have been driving for a few months now and I am enjoying that. However I want to learn to ride a motorbike over the summer, and use one to commute to uni next year.

I have a job, would pay for lessons, the bike, insurance and all of the gear myself. And im quite aware of how expensive this could be.

However my parents dont want me to learn, my dad considers all riders to be "organ donors".

I understand where they are coming from, but its something that I really want to do, and I do think consider myself a safe driver, although ofcourse im still learning, I think that if cautious, I would be safe enough.

I dont really know what to do for the best.

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions or similar experiences?

Cheers

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply

Jonny69 said:
Ride carefully and respect your machine and you will be fine.

This is my feeling exactly, ofcourse I understand the amount of caution and the need to be careful in order to stay safe, but its convincing my dad of that. :(

Does the sort of safety record that Jonny69 mentions ring true for other people?

Cheers

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
You will end up in a few "situations" but you soon learn what to do and what not to do. You can read drivers like a large-print book most of the time and it's pretty obvious when they haven't seen you so liberal use of lights, horn and swerving alerts most of your presence. If you find you can't decide what they are doing give them a very wide berth, hang back and get round them when it's clear and safe to do so. There will be a local demographic near you and you'll soon learn which drivers and what cars will be a guaranteed hazard :D

Edit: the stats are most riders have a serious accident in their first 5 years of riding. I'm counting my lucky beans and will probably quit while I'm ahead, but on the other hand I ride every day, not just at the weekend round the lanes which is when most of the nasty ones happen.

Last edited:
Soldato
Jonny69 said:
I've been riding 4 years and I've never had an accident. It's gone down twice and scratched the side but both times at under 10mph in the wet.

Ride carefully and respect your machine and you will be fine.
I thought you had a scooter?

Soldato
My first thought is finish your car test (this is what I assume you mean by still learning) get road experience in the car, understand the road better in safer conditions, and make use of the money you have spent getting this far. Then get a bike later on when you are not restricted to lower power?

Edit:

As to staying at home... move out you bum! ;) :D

Soldato
OP
William said:
My first thought is finish your car test (this is what I assume you mean by still learning) get road experience in the car, understand the road better in safer conditions, and make use of the money you have spent getting this far. Then get a bike later on when you are not restricted to lower power?

Edit:

As to staying at home... move out you bum! ;) :D

I already have my car licence, and have had for a few months now, by still learning I mean I realise I dont know everything there is to know and I am still gaining experience.

Soldato
OP
saitrix said:
Bummer, its what im looking at doing.

Just makes the best sense for me in terms of money. Plus it means I have the funds available to buy the bike in the first place.

But how do I bring my parents around to the idea??

Suspended
Riding safely doesnt mean that much when the majority of bike accidents are caused by car drivers.

liberal use of lights, horn and swerving alerts most of your presence.

not what id call driving safely :p

If i was you i would stick to your car, but really concentrate on your observational skills. Learn to read the road, conditions and more importantly, other drivers. As J69 says, you will soon learn to read the drivers and their driving styles.

When you hit 21, take your direct access. You should then have enough skill and awareness to be a safe as possible. Its only a couple of years (guessing you 18/19 if your going to uni) away, and those couple of years could make all the difference. Suggest this to your parents and see what they think.

But you could always do what you like but dont be suprised if the folks tell you to move out :p

Soldato
OP
MNuTz said:
If i was you i would stick to your car, but really concentrate on your observational skills. Learn to read the road, conditions and more importantly, other drivers. As J69 says, you will soon learn to read the drivers and their driving styles.

When you hit 21, take your direct access.

Although I really want to ride as soon as possible, I can see the sense in that.

I heard that they were doing away with direct access though? Is this true?

I suppose by then if I could prove that I was a safe driver, a bit older and responsible, more experienced then they would have less of a problem with it.

Suspended
i think that just even suggesting this idea will show your parents that your more grown up and sensible than they thought, its hard for parents to see their kids as anything but kids :D

They had better not be getting rid of the direct access, im thinking of taking mine next year (money allowing) and getting a nice 600cc. I think at 25 i should be allowed to jump on a 600cc after spending 7 years driving!

Caporegime
I think some of you dont get the idea of the direct access test. The whole point of you not being able to do it til you are 21 is that you actually have experience on a motorbike before you get onto a 1000cc Race rep.

I know your pointing out that he will get road experience in a car but its completly different. His best bet is to ride a pedal bike around (or the scooter he has) as its slower but you still use the same skills and have the same troubles (blind drivers etc.).

On the subject did your parents ever ride a motorbike when they were younger? My dad keeps going on about it being dangeous but then i remind him its less dangerous for me riding properly than him playing about at my age. That shuts him up. :p

Soldato
OP
Nah no one has ever held a motorbike licence in my family before.

I dont know, its a case of do I take my test in the summer, get my licence and ride a 125 for a couple of years commuting to uni etc.

Or:

Do just wait until im 21 and take direct access and buy something bigger?

(and how do I convince my parents that its not as bad as they think)

Caporegime
MNuTz said:
i think that just even suggesting this idea will show your parents that your more grown up and sensible than they thought, its hard for parents to see their kids as anything but kids :D

They had better not be getting rid of the direct access, im thinking of taking mine next year (money allowing) and getting a nice 600cc. I think at 25 i should be allowed to jump on a 600cc after spending 7 years driving!

Why? Its completly different. I think its a good idea to either have direct access or not instead of the way it is now. The majority of the people who get injured now are the older ones who think they know how to ride "because they have been driving for years" or they had a bike 20 years ago. i admit though they should increase the HP restriction to say 60BHP as opposed to the 33 now.

Back
Top Bottom