Downloading torrent files - does Pipex limit bandwidth?

Soldato
I'm trying to download a files thru bit torrent (Azureus). The files doesn't seem to go faster than 20 kbps. If I download another file they both stick to 10 kbps each. Someone mentioned that Pipex (my isp) limit torrent transfer rates? Is this true? Can they legally do this? I don't remember ever having had this problem before and I don't remember ever being informed of this change?

Anyone know anything about this?

Wee

Wee

Associate
Yeah, i heard the same thing. Apparently it is true. There is a way around it though, as there is with everything.

Use the Bit Torrent client Utorrent. It has a option there, that when checked, enables some cloaking IP thingy-ma-jig that tricks Pipex into thinking it's a normal download, so you'll get your normal speed.

Caporegime
It's called encryption, and Azureus has the option too. Tools -> Options -> Connection -> Transport Encryption.

Been mentioned in NIC, here, and here and probably other threads I can't be bothered looking for :p

Associate
Although i'm with f2s.... (stuck through some damned hard times)... which is basically pipex now, I'v been able to max out my 1meg connection (ipstream) with bitcomet...

used to be very throttled before the latest network upgrade (when f2s traffic was just piggybacked onto pipex's network) no with a very apparent network upgrade from f2s' side of things (but all the traceroutes now say pipex?!?!), i can max out my 1meg no problems.

Alex

Back
Top Bottom