Laptop not finding network cable

Mud

Mud

Soldato
Housemate is trying to connect to our wired network, although we're having no luck. Unlike other laptops I've encountered that have a separate wired and wireless entry in the device manager this one seems to have both on a combined entry...odd. Plugging the network cable in doesn't light up the network LED and the computer gives no acknowledgement, makes me wonder if the hardware is borked. Can't get it to ping the router or any of the other coms, troubleshot the network cable too.

Its set to use wired if a wire is present, and it picks up wireless networks from both neighbours. The laptop is a Toshiba Tecra A5, has some nasty proprietary menus, can't see what I've missed though (if anything). Its all XP home/pro + Toshiba software.

Any ideas? I think the quickest solution is just to get a PCMCIA LAN card for a tenner... :o

Caporegime
It shouldn't show the two as one, even with Toshiba crud (which is mostly not bad actually). What's in device manager (should be at least the wireless card and wired LAN)?

Mud

Mud

Soldato
OP
The entries under 'network adapters' are the 1394 firewire adapter and 'Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection'. Initially I didn't notice the forward-slash and thought the wired network adapter was missing altogether...I'm not operating under the theory they're lumped together.

Caporegime
Yeah, that's just the wireless card and firewire ports - either the wired network "card" is screwed, or the drivers are.

Back
Top Bottom