looking at buying a Honda CRX or Prelude ... any thoughts?

Soldato
Howdy

am looking to buy a cheap little Honda for a few grand, nothing major, although i was thinking of a CRX VTi or a Prelude 2.2 VTech, as i have always thought Honda's engineering was fantastic

i know there is a huge amount of Honda owners on these forums, so i thought i would ask opinions on these cars?

many thanx

:)

Soldato
I dont know much about the gen 4 ludes, which is probably what you would get for a few grand but ammowaster and a few others on here drive them so should be able to help.
On the CRX front, you should be able to get a decent nick CRX Vti for the money, but finding a good example is getting harder and harder as they are getting on a bit. A mate of mine bought a mechanically faultless CRX Vti for £500, it only really needed a good clean and a Tcut. He then sold it on for £3000, so if you are patient you could also get an utter bargin.
For your money you could also look at the Civic Vti, thought the prelude 2.2 VTI will probably turn out the fastest and the most kit filled.

Soldato
Toryglen-boy said:
:rolleyes:

just tell me i got it wrong, or spelled it wrong or whatever ...

Sorry, its just one of my pet hates.

Get a CRX VTEC imo, if you can find one in good enough condition, they are very good fun :D

Soldato
CRX's are fantastic little rollerskates :)

I owned a prelude for 3 years, fantastic cars, trouble free motoring all round. The 2.2 engine is the most torquey vtec engine there and the prelude generally has more toys than the smaller cars (climate control, 4 wheel steering etc)

Have you considered the vast array of civic VTI's that are kicking around now? I still have a soft spot for the EG6 hatch.

Soldato
vtech.jpg

I love my 4th gen Prelude 2.2 VTEC, every conceivable toy and great fun to drive :)

Mic

Mic

Soldato
CRX owner here.

I spent 3000 sterling on a crx, which is in excellent condition and the price demanded it. But excellent condition for a crx doesnt mean it looks brand new. Theres spots of rust on the rear arches that need to be taken care of ASAP. Some bits at the back brakes need to be changed etc.

The crx is a fantastic little pocket rocket, but it is extremely tight for space in the back. And there is no way in which you will get an adult into the back of it. I sit about an inch away from the drivers seat touching the back seats. You can get someone behind the passanger seat if you push the front passanger up as tight as he can go.
No power steering on UK models either.

Soldato
The prelude is a darn fun car to drive, plenty of power and handling is responsive, though you will find the lude is a higher insurance group =17.

You get plenty of toys for your money, air con, electric sun roof, electric windows, aeriel, nice surporting and comfy seats.

Get a good exhaust fitted and enjoy the roar from the 2.2l as VTEC kicks in around 5000 rpm ;)

Soldato
I can highly recommend the lude, and there are some real bargains out there, also a LOT of abused ones. Many people spend months trying to find a good one . I didn't hense why it's been off the road for 4 months while i fix it up.

Honda parts are massiley expensive so try to get replacement parts from your local motor factors or from the mainy ludes that are broken on Hondarevs or preludeuk.co.uk.

I had to replace the knock sensor on mine and honda wanted £180, eventually managed to find someone with a damaged engine and got it second hand for £20.

I could waffle on for ages so just ask away if there's anything you need to know

Back
Top Bottom