Bank Holiday improvement to my Rover

Soldato
No, I didnt crash it :p

Even though my car (1994 rover coupe in silver) looks like ass from the outside, as anyone who was at the southampton mini meet a while back can connfirm, I got sick of looking at the horrible mk2 200 dash.
olddash.jpg

So after about 3-4 hours getting the old one one out and the new one in, and thankfully with only a couple of problems, like I had to swap the dash loom from the old one to the new, and trying to get the speedo cable out of the gearbox so I could pull the dial pod far enough out to disconnect, the car looks like this.
dash1.JPG

dash2.jpg

I know there is no glovebox atm, the one I have is damaged to so have to pick up a new one, I haven't got a new clock yet either and the switch for the electric mirrors isn't in.... but *apart* from all that ;) it's done, the remaining bits shouldn't be much hassle anyway, it's getting the pieces.

Caporegime
Awaits AGW fainting with glee!

Looks like a superb mod that mate :) Makes me remember when we tried to retro-fit a corsa dash into a nova back in 1999 (was a little too rounded to fit the windscreen though :(

Soldato
Damn, beaten by n00bs :(

Ever since my mum got her 214 bubble, I've grown to like the Mk3 dash. Certainly looks better than the Mk2 dash, and suits the Coupe's lines.

I didn't know you could fit Mk2 clocks into it though.

Oh, please please get rid of that HORRIBLE steering wheel. The airbag version is much nicer.

Soldato
OP
agw_01 said:
Damn, beaten by n00bs :(

Ever since my mum got her 214 bubble, I've grown to like the Mk3 dash. Certainly looks better than the Mk2 dash, and suits the Coupe's lines.

I didn't know you could fit Mk2 clocks into it though.

Oh, please please get rid of that HORRIBLE steering wheel. The airbag version is much nicer.
Yeah, the mk2 clocks are the exact same size externally as the mk3 ones, fit straight back in, you should really think about doing the swap in your 220, just feels so much nicer.

And re the steering wheel, it's on my list of things I plan to do :)

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Vast improvement. I'd hate to do it myself. Dash removal is painful, let alone swapping looms etc. Did it cut you to shreds too?

Nice headunit too. I have one in my 206 :D

M0T

M0T

Soldato
Is it me or have you put your hazard warning switch in upside down? :p

Also why did you have the newer wheel with the old dash but change to the older wheel for the new dash?

Soldato
OP
iCraig said:
Looks good, apart from the spherical silver gearknob.
That's an official Rover/MOMO part i'll have you know :p Actually the most comfortable gearknob i've used, plus i've fitted a short throw shifter so extra weight in the gearknob feels a lot nicer.
Dup said:
Vast improvement. I'd hate to do it myself. Dash removal is painful, let alone swapping looms etc. Did it cut you to shreds too?

Nice headunit too. I have one in my 206
Cheers, yeah, my hands are covered in loads of tiny little cuts. Headunit it great isnt it, sounded better in my passat as I had components in there, haven't upgraded the stock speakers in this one yet.

Soldato
OP
M0T said:
Is it me or have you put your hazard warning switch in upside down? :p

Also why did you have the newer wheel with the old dash but change to the older wheel for the new dash?
Hahaha, hadn't noticed, not sure which way round it should be but I think you're right, oh well :)

The first photo isn't mine, just a stock one I found and used to demonstrate to those who don't know how ugly the mk2 dash is.

Soldato
OP
Phantom said:
have you had a forum name change? Car sounds familiar but the name doesnt :o
Yeah, I was Jagen until about a couple of months ago, I probably should have put something in my sig to let people know :)

Soldato
bam0 said:
Yeah, the mk2 clocks are the exact same size externally as the mk3 ones, fit straight back in, you should really think about doing the swap in your 220, just feels so much nicer.

And re the steering wheel, it's on my list of things I plan to do :)

I'll be honest and say... I prefer the Mk2 dash to the Mk3 :eek:

The Mk3 dash just looks too in your face (and isn't well suited to the shape of the Mk2 hatch). I like the lines and space of the Mk2 dash.

Soldato
OP
agw_01 said:
I'll be honest and say... I prefer the Mk2 dash to the Mk3 :eek:

The Mk3 dash just looks too in your face (and isn't well suited to the shape of the Mk2 hatch). I like the lines and space of the Mk2 dash.
You prefer that out dated POS?! ;) The guide I used to help with the conversion is from Ste on rovertech and he did it in a 220 GSi, and it looks great.

I hate the lines of the mk2 but you're right about the space, the closeable coin tray is gone and you really need the dash pocket where the passenger airbag cover is to make up for the dash shelf. It also seems the mk3 has better sound insulation on the back than the mk2, I get less engine noise coming through now.

Soldato
bam0 said:
You prefer that out dated POS?! ;) The guide I used to help with the conversion is from Ste on rovertech and he did it in a 220 GSi, and it looks great.

I hate the lines of the mk2 but you're right about the space, the closeable coin tray is gone and you really need the dash pocket where the passenger airbag cover is to make up for the dash shelf. It also seems the mk3 has better sound insulation on the back than the mk2, I get less engine noise coming through now.

Nice!

Not sure what you mean about the coin tray though - I've got that in mine (MG ZR but it's got the same dash).

If you don't have a passenger airbag then you can fit a tray where the airbag cover is. Mine doesn't have a passenger airbag so I've got some extra space there for bits and bobs

Pic: (To show you what I mean about the tray :) )

26th_April_JustWashedMG_015.jpg

Soldato
OP
ajgoodfellow said:
Nice!

Not sure what you mean about the coin tray though - I've got that in mine (MG ZR but it's got the same dash).

If you don't have a passenger airbag then you can fit a tray where the airbag cover is. Mine doesn't have a passenger airbag so I've got some extra space there for bits and bobs
In the mk2 the coin tray is on the right hand side of the steering wheel, under the control for the electric windows, and it's more like an ashtray in that you can completely close it, not like the little one on the left of the wheel in the mk3 dash that is open.

That tray is exactly what I want to do with mine, there's a couple on ebay atm so hopefully soon as I miss having a shelf to put things.

Back
Top Bottom