How important are stand-offs exactly?

Associate
Ok, so im installing my mobo into its case, and BAM... its dawns on me that only three stand-offs are supplied with my case!!! :eek:

So i install anyway, thinking that i can buy some more and add in later, as it works atm, but then lol, one cross threads and i cant get it out! What i need to know is, will this be a problem? :confused: ? and do i need to sort it out, as the mobo is quite heavy with the Thermaltake Orb II

Associate
The stand-offs are very important use to support your mobo as you only have 3 you are putting more stress at these points which could crack with a heavy Thermaltake Orb II cooler.

If your computer is in the vertical position, I would lay the computer flat than you could get away with it.

Simon

Soldato
£2 will get you a set of brass stand-offs delivered from that auction site.

As already said, they're quite an essential part.

Soldato
Please don't try and bodge something up, you definitely need them, it'll end in disaster if you don't! (Not that I've ever done anything as daft as that....ahem....)

Caporegime
Yeah definately get some more standoffs on there, as said above the weight from the cooler etc... could cause damage, and also you could get it shorting out if the boards touching the case anywhere as it doesnt have enough standoffs to support it.

Associate
OP
yeah lol, common sense did kinda tell me that (but i tried to choose not to see it), but thanks dudes, will now sort that out NOW! Didnt think bout the board cracking though, will lay it on its side till i get the other stand-off's.

Just gotta work out how to deal with the cross thread now so i can get my mobo out to put the standoffs in! Any ideas? I dont wanna drill the head off the screw if i can help it!

Thanks for your help guys :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
I know its been answered but yeah, standoffs are a definet MUST!

For shorting issues mainly, and even distribution of stress...if you physically CANT get a mount for a specific position, like an area with almost NO weight on, you can always get/bodge a rubber standoff for the underneath of the board, as some Intel server boards get you to do in the centre of the board for extra support :)

Although id def recommend making sure you can get mounts (Of ALL the same size) under the correct mounting holes :p

Back
Top Bottom