HP proliant DL320 - too noisy

Associate
I understand that this is a low end company server but it was cheep on ebay and has two 40gb hard drives....

Basically those 8 40mm uber loud fans (it's a 1U rack mount) are louder than my pair of 80mm deltas at full blast....

The server will not boot with any of them unpluggeg....
And it's a 6 pin connector (2 fans X 3 pins, 8 fans in four blocks of two)

It's got linux on their, is their any SOFTWARE way I can slow them down?

Associate
LOL, I like the idea of building an extra room / buying a larger house in order to make the noise of a cheap sever bareable :)

How much do spare rooms go for on ebay? :D

Soldato
does almico speedfan work with linux ?

if so it lets you reduce fan speeds from 0% - 100% :)

edit - sorry just looked and theres no linux version :(

what about holding them from rotating with something such as tape and adding a couple of bigger quieter fans in somewhere to keep it cool ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
andy, the fans have sensors.... they know when they not spinning....
Larger fans... this is a 1U rack mount enclosure..... the 40mm fans fit snugly from the bottom of the case to the top....

Associate
>> andy, the fans have sensors.... they know when they not spinning....

not to mention, of course, that stopping them spinning will burn the motors out :)

I've got similar problems with a proliant 6400, it's like a hovercraft starting up :-/ one solution could be to snip the blades off the fans....

Associate
OP
the_gof said:
I've got similar problems with a proliant 6400, it's like a hovercraft starting up :-/ one solution could be to snip the blades off the fans....

PMSL.... now why didn't I think of that :rolleyes:

Soldato
as a proliant owner i know your pain - there is no way to quiten those fans through software - period - sorry.

however, snip the power lead, and solder on a resistor and you can make your self a perminent fan slower downer - thats the only thing i can think off

sorry dude

Back
Top Bottom