My new Netgear RangeMAX setup

Soldato
hi all,

I just thought I'd post my experiences so far with a Rangemax cable router I bought from OcUK on Friday.

I got the WPN824 Rangemax router, and just a 54g USB dongle (WG111 as OcUK were out of stock of the Rangemax WPN111) for my desktop. My gf already has a 54g Netgear PCMCIA card, and so far it's not all that stable.

Now I realise that to gain the MIMO functionality of the router, you require Rangemax adapters, although I've heard some comments on forums (I read it here about whether Rangemax routers increase the range even for standard 802.11g adapters. I can't see this as being true.

The reason being that my 54g adapter is upstairs and tucked behind one wall, so there are two 1935 walls inbetween the router and the 54g WG111 USB dongle, and the stability is terrible. It drops the signal completely now and again, and the speed fluctuates wildly when it actually has a connection to the router. The other wireless devices in the house (normally non rangemax 54g laptops in the same room as the router) are normally ok but have been known to drop out albeit only once or twice per adapter.

My plan is to buy a rangemax USB dongle for my upstairs desktop and see just how fantastic this new technology is, as at the moment, back in my parents house my trusty DG834G is by far and away much more stable.

EDIT : By the way this is my first WPA-PSK secured network...

Just thought I'd post my thoughts and see if anyone else had any thoughts on these routers.

Last edited:
Associate
I bought the Netgear DG834PN Rangemax Wireless Router from OCuk a few weeks back. I also have the recommended card (WPN311).

The wired connections work fine but the wireless is truly terrible. The computer that uses it is only 5m away, and through 1 wall. The signal strength is awful, fluctuates from 0 - 20%, web browsing is horribly slow and basically the general stability and speeds are awful.

I had hoped going for the more expensive rangemax model would be a good idea, but if you go over and look on the netgear support forums loads of other people are having big problems with theirs also. Netgear seem to have forsaken making any attempt at new firmware, perhaps becuase there's no U.S release of this item..

Im not sure how i'd go on with returning this item as it's not really broken, then again it surely doesn't do what it's meant to.

edit: I think i'm going to try removing all the netgear drivers and related stuff and using the windows wireless tool instead.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sutters said:
I bought the Netgear DG834PN Rangemax Wireless Router from OCuk a few weeks back. I also have the recommended card (WPN311).

The wired connections work fine but the wireless is truly terrible. The computer that uses it is only 5m away, and through 1 wall. The signal strength is awful, fluctuates from 0 - 20%, web browsing is horribly slow and basically the general stability and speeds are awful.

I had hoped going for the more expensive rangemax model would be a good idea, but if you go over and look on the netgear support forums loads of other people are having big problems with theirs also. Netgear seem to have forsaken making any attempt at new firmware, perhaps becuase there's no U.S release of this item..

Im not sure how i'd go on with returning this item as it's not really broken, then again it surely doesn't do what it's meant to.

edit: I think i'm going to try removing all the netgear drivers and related stuff and using the windows wireless tool instead.

I was hoping I wouldnt get any of these responses....

do you mean you're going to remove the netgear software for the WPN311 wireless adapter? If so, I'm also using Windows XP's Wireless setup wizard, which at least lets me "repair" in two clicks. What this does is disable the wireless adapter, enables it again, releases and renews your IP address, and flushes the DNS i think, along with a few other bits and bobs that happen too quickly for my eyes.

I'm now very worried that I will buy the WPN111 wireless adapter and it will be just as shoddy as the WG111 at keeping a stable connection in a small semi detached house :(

Associate
Netgear Rangemax

Hello all

I have the range max from Netgear and live in a two bed flat, I have put the router in the living room on top of a bookshelf unit and am using the WPN111 rangemax usb dongle to receive in the bedroom (which is seperated with a solid brick wall) and am surprisingly getting 108MBPS and 'Excellent' or 'Very Good' reception (80-90%) - distance of about 7 metres with brick wall inbetween.

I had issues with the software that comes with the usb stick (drops connections) so I use windows to manage the connection and, more importantly, put the usb stick next to the window to keep it cool - it does overheat and disconnect. There are many issues ppl are having with every bit of gear and wireless being harder to configure means more problems.

I believe that if you configure the hardware correctly, you should be able to get good results. My brother has the older Netgear modem/router (834G) and he has a four bed detached house with three floors. His modem is on the third floor and has a PC in both the second and ground floors and gets about 60-70% reception signal. He is a network manager and obviously configured his setup well!!!

So, when someone says that they can't get good reception 5ft away or something (not quoting anyone!!!) take it with a pinch of salt...

Associate
stokefan said:
I'm now very worried that I will buy the WPN111 wireless adapter and it will be just as shoddy as the WG111 at keeping a stable connection in a small semi detached house :(

Hi, did your network signal improve since May?

I've been reading up on the WPN824, but user comments are contradictory and I'm getting worried about spending £130 on the router + card, only to end up with a bad signal.

The router will be in the attic, directly above my room. It's only a small distance, but the insulation is foam covered in aluminum foil.

Back
Top Bottom