Quietening entire system down

Associate
Hi all,
I've just managed to build my own PC that I will use for a Home Theatre System and also for gaming. Everything works a treat and my only problem is the noise. Therefore, I want to quieten everything down to the max, so that it doesn't sound like I have a hoover stuck underneath my TV.

What I've got is the following
Gigabyte 8N-SLi Pro motherboard
Intel 775 630 3Ghz CPU with stock fan
XFX 7600GT XXX graphics card
Cooler Master Cavalier 4 (Desktop Chassis)

1) My biggest source of noise is the 7600GT. Playing games, this thing makes more noise than a blender. I've been searching but can't really find anything that says it compatible with this card since it's new. Any suggestions out there?

2) CPU fan doesn't seem too bad, however would like to cool it down some more and also reduce the noise level. My problem here is that, on the motherboard, there's a heatsink beside the CPU so I can't fit any of monster FAN on the CPU. Honestly, 900mm (which is also the standard FAN width) is all nearly all I got to play with in terms of space, so open to suggestions here?

3) Being a desktop, the CPU fan will sit directly on the CPU so in terms of weight what is the max I can go with? Officially, I think it's just below 500gram but can I get away with higher?

4) The PC case itself also has 3 fans 1x80mm & 2x60mm. What would you recommend for these?

5) What's the best in terms of padding to reduce noise for a Cooler Master case?

6) How loud exactly is 20 Dba or 30Dba? Also, Artic cooling talk about sone. In everyday terms, what do these translate to?

7) Anything else, you think might be helpful?

Cheers
Shav

Associate
The Zalman vf-900 will work a treat on your 7600 and is reported to be almost silent whilst still offering excellent cooling, even on the likes of an x1900.
For case fans bigger is better. A 60mm fan will have too spin sooooo much faster and louder than a 120mm fan to push the same amount of air. If possible try and fit larger fans, Alaska ambers are very quiet and still push a good amount of air and are available in 60, 80, 90 and 120mm sizes so get and fit the largest you can.
DON'T get the case noise deadening sheets - they don't do anything other than make your case hotter!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks dale1uk,
I'll look into a vf-900. With regards to the chassis fans, I don't think I can put anything bigger in their place but I'll look at maybe getting silent ones.

Any thoughts on a quiet CPU cooler that could work for me?

Cheers
Shav

Associate
Not too sure on a cpu cooler for you but again look at the Zalman ones and you shouldn't go wrong.
If you can't, or don't want to mod your case to fit larger fans then I'd definitly recommend the ambers, I replaced mine with them and it made soo much difference.

Associate
OP
Unfortunately the Zalman's are way too big for the space I have to work. How are the Ambers in terms of noise?

Associate
shav said:
Hi all,

4) The PC case itself also has 3 fans 1x80mm & 2x60mm. What would you recommend for these?

Cheers
Shav

Have you thought about using Akasa Fan Adapters to change the 2 60mmfans to 80mm (see Fan Grills + Accessories section).

80mm will be quieter than 60's as they will run at slower RPM's whilst still pushing out similar CFG.
:)

Associate
swop the 80m for a silentx fan ive had 80mm ambers and 80 silentx and silentx are quiter then the ambers for 80mm but the 120mm ambers are quiter then the silentx from what ive tried

Back
Top Bottom