• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Second 6600GT for Sli or new card?

Orm

Orm

Associate
I have around £140 to spend and was thinking of buying a second 6600GT to run in SLi, but there are a lot of cards around for this kind of price.

Is my idea a good one or should I be looking just to replace, and if so with what?

The missus is throwing the money at me so the faster I know what to do the better :D

Cheers for any feedback.

Man of Honour
Ditch the 6600gt and get a better single card. The 7600gt is well in your price range and gives the 6600gt a right good kicking. The X1800Xt is a good card but as it is ATI and you have a Nvidia Sli board you would not be able to add another card if you needed to in the future.

If your missus is throwing money at you (how the hell did you manage that?) tap her up for a further £60 and get a 7900gt.

Associate
pastymuncher said:
The X1800Xt is a good card but as it is ATI and you have a Nvidia Sli board you would not be able to add another card if you needed to in the future.

This is a good point but I belive that sli is only good if you go for it straight away instead of thinking in a years time I'll add another one as newer cards will perform a fair bit better than two old gen cards, just like the situation Orm's in now.

Soldato
semi-pro waster said:
I'd sell the 6600gt for whatever you can get (anything around £50 and you can hand your missus some money back) and get the X1800XT 256mb at the bottom of the page for £170 as it will demolish SLi'd 6600gt cards(about equivalent to a 6800gt).
Seconded, grab them before they vanish and this deal between OCuk and Sapphire has to come to an end! :) Oh dear, I sound just like Gibbo. :eek:

Caporegime
Orm said:
I have around £140 to spend and was thinking of buying a second 6600GT to run in SLi, but there are a lot of cards around for this kind of price.

Is my idea a good one or should I be looking just to replace, and if so with what?

The missus is throwing the money at me so the faster I know what to do the better :D

Cheers for any feedback.

I would grab a 7900 GT for 30 more and clock it.At least that way you have the option of sli ing another other than being stuck with one card.Plus having the same if not faster performance than the x1800.

But before any one starts wiith the fanboy carp.The x1800 is a great card but if you get one your stuck with it.Nowhere to go.

Keep upgrade options open in my book.

Last edited:
Soldato
I agree with you, and I would say the same if DirectX 10 wasn't on the horizon. To me, any purchase made between now and Q1 '07 is simply a stop-gap, so SLi isn't an option for me since it won't help me out with unified shader architecture or the new rendering methods Vista will bring to the scene.

Might as well go for the most bang for buck single card solution. If volt-modding that's the 7900GT, if not then it's the X1800XT, but if you want to be gaming with DX10 in six or so months time (assuming it's not delayed again), you're pretty much stuck for choice there.

The market is very confusing at the moment, a lot of variables to consider when making a major purchase.

Caporegime
Exsomnis said:
but if you want to be gaming with DX10 in six or so months time (assuming it's not delayed again), you're pretty much stuck for choice there.

But the point is that even if dx 10 is released there wont be any games using it for a while.

Meaning that if you wait for a dx10 card by the time you can utilse it in games when they become standard the card will already be way out of date.

ATI and \NV will already be 2nd or even 3rd generation in.

Soldato
I know that we had this problem with SM3.0, but I thought that some games ready for Christmas time launch were going to be ready for DirectX 10. Crysis comes to mind.

Caporegime
Exsomnis said:
I know that we had this problem with SM3.0, but I thought that some games ready for Christmas time launch were going to be ready for DirectX 10. Crysis comes to mind.

I aint gonna put my gfx power on hold for one game.
The new DX 10 cards will be pricy and with limited titles.

Soldato
Main reason I will be upgrading is Vista itself, since DirectX 10 won't even work without it, and Vista won't function fully without a DX10 compatible DHCP graphics processor. I guess most people will be doing at the same time for that reason.

Is why I didn't bother with Crossfire or SLi, just overkill performance if I'll be selling it on in six months time, and my current rig handles everything quite nicely for now.

Soldato
Definately get a single card. I have SLi 6600GT's and there really is no point in going SLi unless it's with the top end cards. I only bought my card because it was a good deal at the time and i wasn't a member on here yet so didn't really have any good advice (it was a kind of impulse buy :p)

7900GT's have been clocking like mad but if you're not going to overclock then a x1800XT will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom