Dropped Cable Connection

Associate
OK i have a really wierd couple of problems. I have just moved house and had 4mb cable installed.
It's running via a webstar modem via USB to one pc, then out to a switch/hub via ethernet and off to 3 other pc's. The modem is a webstar as supplied by telewest

Firstly, when left for a period of time the modem needs to be reset (unplugged and then replugged to power) otherwise the pc doesn't get anything from the modem. This has happened when the pc has been on and off.

Secondly, when left unattended for a period of about 10+ minutes the connection cuts off and needs to be re-initiated by the pc (if the modem doesnt need resetting). However if the pc's are being used the connection stays.
Example 1) people playing everquest for 4 hours, then we leave the pc running one everqest account unattended overnight wth bitcomet in the background, come down the next day and the connection has been cut.
Example 2) last night server pc (the one wth the usb modem into it) is running eq in the background and one other playing eq, they stop and exit to the eq login screen. Comes back conection cut.

Anyone suffered from this or know of any fixes.

Associate
OP
In the second example (which happened yesterday afternoon) I'm pretty sure BT wasn't running.
Might using too many connections overload the modem then?

Soldato
bradbcam said:
In the second example (which happened yesterday afternoon) I'm pretty sure BT wasn't running.
Might using too many connections overload the modem then?

Yes - they only have a limited amount of memory to store the connection details.

Also - you are using the usb connection, yes? If so, it might be worth trying the ethernet connection as that is generally a lot more stable. An extra network card should be less than a tenner - or alternatively, splash out a cable router as it means that your machine sharing the connection does not have to be switched on at all times.

Associate
OP
I wasn't aware the number of connections could do that. I will reign BT in a bit.

I am currently using the USB connection for input to the slave PC. I have considered an extra network card but i think i will try and get a router.
Do i need to get a router with a modem built in (one that plugs into adsl sockets) or just any old router. Any suggestions or model or make would be great :)

Soldato
If you can get the Linksys WRT54GL, then you will be rocking and rolling - install the dd-wrt firmware and you will never need another router again :)

Alternatively, any off This 'ere Page would be compatible, as you are on cable not ADSL, so a non-ADSL router is required

HTH

Caporegime
bradbcam said:
Do i need to get a router with a modem built in (one that plugs into adsl sockets)

Not unless you need a doorstop. Getting rid of USB should be your first (and it's the cheapest) step.

Caporegime
The WRT54GL is a v4 WRT54G. The WRT54G you buy now will be a lobotomised v5, which runs VXWorks (as opposed to some derivative of linux).

Associate
OP
ordinary cable connection.

Also on the bitcomet front: I had a look last night and couldn't find how to limit the number of connections. Any help aswell please

Back
Top Bottom