3 options. sensible or soft. (long post)

Associate
Ok guys Im starting a new job for a Seat dealer as a salesman on monday.
Its a large career change from a financial advisor!!!

The new job comes with a car officially it will be a 1.4 ibiza for company car tax reasons but it's really take whatever I want off the forecourt home (within reason)

I currently have a Alfa 156 and have been driving for a year this month. my insurance runs out in september. The Alfa is a 2001Y 1.8TS with all options apart from satnav, The front has some stone chips on as it was a company car and a few minor imperfections in the paint around the car with 90k on the clock. I reckon it to be worth in the region of £3500.

I would love a convertible for the summer but I want some thing that isnt going to cost me a crazy sum. I figure I'm gonna have a rather boring car as a company car but it will be practical so the skys the limit basically for impracticality.
The options

Option 1

I could be sensible and sell the alfa, put the money in a savings account and drive my company car which would save me around £180 in petrol and £120 in insurance a month. i could then maybe save up and get something really nice for next summer. The lack of no-claims may kill me though.

Option 2

I could drive the company car over the summer keep the alfa and get my no-claims in september. ( or possibly sell the alfa now buy a rot box and transfer the insurance to this till september and have my no claims) and then buy something like a lotus 7 type car ( but it would be totally out of thier driving season in sept.)

Option 3

I could use the company car for the commuting and sell the alfa and buy a mk-1 MX-5 or something similar for the weekend now.

Now im not flush but I do love my cars. I dont drink a lot and my main interest is in cars. I would be prepared to do any of these options but would it be worth the money for the more expensive ones in your opinion?
I am more than prepared to listen to any more options which you guys think I might have.

Last edited:
Caporegime
BIGWEB said:
Option 3

I could use the company car for the commuting and sell the alfa and buy a mk-1 MX-5 or something similar for the weekend now.

You really want to buy out of season, get a good deal then sell it next summer you will get your money back and perhaps a profit if you do it correctly, not a huge fan of the Mk1 interior but its a fantastic car to drive and won't cost you much to run (Unless you buy a duffer or start buying bits for it :( )

Associate
OP
merlin said:
Settle into your job first before getting carried away.

How much NCB have you got presently?

dont worry im not overstretching myself 2 of the options will cost me less or the same as I pay now.
I dont have any NCB as i have only been driving a year this month. Which is why i really want to get that year under my belt as it has a huge effect on premiums.

Soldato
Well you could sell the car and just let the insurance run to bank the year ncb. Just dont tell them you've sold it.

Doubt you'd see much in the way of a refund if you cancelled the policy so no major loss there.

Personally I'd take the company car and save like mad to get yourself a dream car early next year in time for the sunshine. :)

Associate
OP
Yeh i would love a nice Elise or something it would take me the whole year to save up for it though. The MX-5 option is appealing aswell though.

Soldato
I'd go with the save up for something really nice next summer option, although that said, the alfa is a nice car. How do you find it and how do you feel about selling?

Associate
OP
The alfa is a fantastic car. The handling is excellent and the engine is responsive and revs soo cleanly. The interior is nice and the leather really lifts the cabin. Ive had no problems with it contrary to popular alfa stories (Fox) and everyone who I give a lift to comments on how nice it is.

Its just not right for the driving I do through the week which is basically stop start and so the fuel comsumption is poor. and the driving I do on the weekend would suit a nice handling 2 seater perfectly.
That being said I will be gutted to see it go.

Back
Top Bottom