cabling - trying not to kill people here!

Soldato
Teachers.. always wanting the impossible.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on cabling, we've got some staff that are determinded to have thier PCs on thier desks, problem is that it'd mean trailing cables across floors and I'm not happy about people having to step over them. It screams health and safety to me so I've refused to do it.

I was wondering if there were any products that would let me do this though and still be covered by health and safety. I vaguely remember thick rubber covers that the cables could pass under and people could happily step on without worrying about tripping up.

I know, I'm being vague! sorry but does anyone have the faintest idea what I'm rambling on about :p

Soldato
http://www.happy-mats.com/cable_cover_mats.htm

or this

p4012a2wb.jpg

MB

Associate
Carpet installers use this really strong and sticks double sided tape when they can’t use the spray glue or pin beams.

Just so happens its also perfect for sticking down cable guttering :)

Caporegime
id10T_error said:

Worst idea EVER, not only does it make your floor like utter crap but it peels away easily and makes the floor all sticky.

Stick with the rubber cable traps i think they are called or if you can afford, convert all the pcs into wireless ones etc. Its what i did a few months ago in my office....had enough of running cables here and there etc. So i made all my pcs wireless and no longer have unsightly wires trailing across the floor and no accidents either. It may cost a fair bit to upgrade but in the end i think its worth it.

Permabanned
Spawn said:
Worst idea EVER, not only does it make your floor like utter crap but it peels away easily and makes the floor all sticky.

Well we use it all the time in the Electronics labs and although it does leave behind a bit of a nasty residue they never come unstuck unless we pull them up! (the cleaners sort the sticky mess! lol)

Cheap and does the job perfect.

No one has ever fallen over our Gaffa-taped down cables where-as in the office many people have either tripped over or pulled equipment crashing too the floor when those plastic things are used!!

Last edited:
Soldato
Foghorn Leghorn said:
Lol, we have this stuff in our offices. More people havetripped over this stuff than ever did over the cables :D

Fog

Agreed, that stuff on its own can be a death trap :p

Soldato
Foghorn Leghorn said:
Lol, we have this stuff in our offices. More people havetripped over this stuff than ever did over the cables :D

Fog

I can imagine most people in IT land walk around like zombies dragging their feet so the tripping up can be expected really :p

Running it under the carpet is always tidy, just a bugger if you need to get to the wires :s

Back
Top Bottom